Clara's death - help UPDATE #626

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven,

which manor park is it? is it the 'big crematorium thats privately owned' or 'Little Ilford St Mary the Virgin Churchyard' (also known as Manor Park)! and they are but a stones throw from one another as well...
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• oh and who is Ruby??? thats not a name that I remember at all...
      Julie

Comment

• Hi Ruby was Isabel Ward's daughter who died young at 18 and when I looked through some photos I came across a photo of the grave but part of it is obscured by flowers so you can't see a date of death for Charles. I don't know which part of manor park they are buried in but it was a public grave with many people buried there. They couldn't find a record of a Charley/Charles Ward buried there but if I had a year of death it might be easier.

However as rightly mentioned he may just have been added as a memorial later on.

Thanks for the offer of SP credits Chrissie but I still have some spare and had a look but nothing sticks out

Margaret thanks for looking for me the death in 1936 looks like the right area I wonder if I can find a death for him?

Moggie I have asked Ann for the name of her grandad Driscoll and will get back to you if she lets me know

Steven

Comment

• if you would like.. email me a copy of the stone.. i'll have a look and see if I can make anything out... now you have reminded me the name/situation does ring a bell
          Julie

Comment

• Hi Julie

Steven

Comment

• oh... that doesnt really help does it? I think what you now need is for someone that can go to the cemetery, I Know what you said before, but if they could lift the headstone and maybe turn it over, then they could give a transcript/take a picture for you?
              Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                oh... that doesnt really help does it? I think what you now need is for someone that can go to the cemetery, I Know what you said before, but if they could lift the headstone and maybe turn it over, then they could give a transcript/take a picture for you?
                I was thinking that myself and I used to pass that cemetery every day for years on the train going into London to work, if only I was there now I'd get off and do it just to kill the suspense!!

Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post

Margaret thanks for looking for me the death in 1936 looks like the right area I wonder if I can find a death for him?

Steven
                  I couldn't see one for West Ham just this one which may or may not be relevant to that burial. I think we found that Essex South Western was that area and of course someone could die in hospital in one area and be buried with relatives in another. My mother died in Bury, Lancs and is buried in Manchester Southern Cemetery several miles apart.

Charles Ward
                  Birth Date: abt 1846
                  Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1936
                  Age at Death: 90
                  Registration district: Essex South Western
                  Inferred County: Essex
                  Volume: 4a
                  Page: 191
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 05-02-12, 16:14.

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    I was thinking that myself and I used to pass that cemetery every day for years on the train going into London to work, if only I was there now I'd get off and do it just to kill the suspense!!

Margaret
                    I know Margaret, I wish I lived near so I could get Tim do lift it.. (i'd supervise and take the photo) :smilee:
                    Julie

Comment

• Which Charles Ward death are we lookoing for then? I thought 'our' Charles/Charlie Ward was born about 1895 ish?
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        Which Charles Ward death are we lookoing for then? I thought 'our' Charles/Charlie Ward was born about 1895 ish?
                        Yes, he was born 1897 but I found a burial in West Ham for 1936 which is during the war and we were looking for a death that might match. We also know that Charlie is commemorated on a headstone with Ruby who died in 1939 but we don't know if he was added later than his death or at the time!

Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          I found a burial in West Ham for 1936 which is during the war
                          ... during which war!

(You been out for lunch again today!!!!):D
                          Elaine

Comment

• Hi Steven

I don't know when this could happen, but at some point this year (sorry to be so vague) I'd like to make a visit for you to the Manor Park Cem to lift up Ruby's stone and take a look.

Don't hold me to a date but I will get there at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              ... during which war!

(You been out for lunch again today!!!!):D
                              We are working on the premise that he died in WW2 but are not sure so just really logging up bits and pieces that might be relevant.

All we have is a partial inscription on a gravestone but no dates and anecdotal stories that he died 'in the war' so could be WW1 as he waoul have been of serving age them but could have been the next one as he lived near London.

Sounds like a good idea to have lunch out on a cold day!
                              Margaret

Comment

• .. but you said you have a death for 1936 which is during the war - but WW2 didn't start until 1939 !

.. or have I misunderstood you?

(We'll get those men of ours to take us out this week perhaps!!)
                                Elaine

Comment

• Amanda that would be fantastic if you could do that

I received an email from Ann just to say she is moving house and if she isn't in touch not to worry - she did however confirm that May Driscoll's father was Matthias James Driscoll. Not sure if that helps but its a full name for Clara's 2nd husband or common law partner

Steven

PS thanks for everyone's help and time given to help look for Charley today as always much appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                    .. but you said you have a death for 1936 which is during the war - but WW2 didn't start until 1939 !

.. or have I misunderstood you?

(We'll get those men of ours to take us out this week perhaps!!)
                                    Oh well there you go! I thought it started in 1935 LOL.

Yes, I shall work on the idea of lunch out again.
                                    Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                      Amanda that would be fantastic if you could do that

I received an email from Ann just to say she is moving house and if she isn't in touch not to worry - she did however confirm that May Driscoll's father was Matthias James Driscoll. Not sure if that helps but its a full name for Clara's 2nd husband or common law partner

Steven

PS thanks for everyone's help and time given to help look for Charley today as always much appreciated
                                      Could this be our James Ward????
                                      Can't immediately see Matthias Driscoll on the 1911.

Margaret

Comment

• I was querying the death more for his approx birth year of 1846 that the year of his death :D Yes Elaine, I definitely think Margaret has been out for lunch ;)
                                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Certainly looks like it could be James in 1911 Margaret

Ann came back with a little information but nothing concrete on Charles

"I too have a photo of Ruby, Mum was always saddened tat Ruby died so young. They must of lived next door to each other at one time as I have a little card that Ruby wrote to my Mum saying "Dear May give me a call over the wall when you are home love Ruby". As for Charles I really dont know if it was WW1 or 2. I have a photo of him in uniform and also a small card embroided with flowers
                                          that he sent to Clara, now was that popular in WW1 or 2???

Cant wait to dig my photos out to send you."

Can't wait for any photo's - so exciting!!!

I tried to email Manor Park to see if they would be willing to lift the headstone for a small fee but my emails keep getting returned - either they have a problem with their emails or have blocked me to stop me pestering them!!! Hope not

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                          X