Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well at least then we might have a bit more to go on steven
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Are we certain there is not a 'Driscoll' brother and that it is definitely Charles/Charley Ward b1897 we are looking for?

Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        Are we certain there is not a 'Driscoll' brother and that it is definitely Charles/Charley Ward b1897 we are looking for?

Margaret
        that is a good point Margaret. (oh I see what you are saying, I thought you meant is it possible that Charley was known as a DRISCOLL) sorry I misunderstood,

I can say that there definitely were NO other Driscoll children Margaret.
        Julie

Comment

• Hi I wasn't sure what information I could post from Ann on Ancestry so I took out some stuff and posted the rest

"Steven, thank you for your message. I am so happy you contacted me, yes my Mum May Driscoll was Clara"s Daughter. I am so excited I dont know where to begin. My Mum May Driscoll married my Dad George Milbank in Aug 1949. I also could not find Clara"s Death or her marriage to Grandad Driscoll. I know my Auntys Bella (Isabel) Grace, Ethel Hilda and Rose where from Clara"s first marriage and my Mum always talked about Charles her Brother who they lost in the War. So you are relaed to Aunt Bella, Mum used to talk of the great times she use to have visiting Bobby and Jean in Scotland are you related to them? Ann

The Bobby and Jean must be my grandparents who are no longer with us. All the children Ann named match up. It certainly looks like she is talking about Charley/Charles - Clara's son - I will keep you posted if I hear more

Steven

PS Re Rose I don't know much about her apart from in the address book that Amanda got from her dad it mentions a Rose Smart. Thats how we found Hilda who was Hilda Hale but so far no sign of a Rose Smart but maybe this was her second marriage like Hilda?

Comment

• Steve,

did you say that Rose's middle name is Agnes?
            Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              that is a good point Margaret. (oh I see what you are saying, I thought you meant is it possible that Charley was known as a DRISCOLL) sorry I misunderstood,

I can say that there definitely were NO other Driscoll children Margaret.
              Oh good that's mainly what I meant but I guess it is also the case that Charles could have been known as Driscoll much in the same way as Clara had no qualms about changing her name.

Margaret

Comment

• If Charles died in WWII then it might be possible to get his records from MOD as Steve is certainly a Next of Kin if Charles had not married and there were no children.

It does cost £30 though!
                Margaret

Comment

• Hi Julie she is known as Rose Mary or Rose Agnes - both names were quoted of the Childrens society letter

Margaret - would he not have been told old for WW2? If born in say 1897 then he would have been in his 40's? But absolutely a great idea and I did the same for my grandad and well worth the £30. Hopefully Ann can help

Steven

Comment

• Yes, you are right about him being to old to be conscripted but he might have been a reserve or something or even killed in the Blitz in London.

But def worth thinking about WW1 records instead as he would have been around 20 then.

Margaret

Comment

• I will have a look through the WW1 records - if I can find next of kin listed as Clara then I could get him

Steven

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                        If Charles died in WWII then it might be possible to get his records from MOD as Steve is certainly a Next of Kin if Charles had not married and there were no children.

It does cost £30 though!
                        Margaret

thing is Margaret, we can't find ANY trace of him being IN the service(s). :(
                        Julie

Comment

• have also checked the war dead civilians on CWGC and nothing much there.. 6 of them, and not one of them look likely.
                          Julie

Comment

• Do you need any help in Scotland Steve? I have some credits on Scotlands people that I don't know what to do with.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Have just looked at CWWG for Charles under Ward and Driscoll no luck! also on ancestry military records and again no luck.

Maybe he was a civilian casualty in WWII.
                              Margaret

Comment

• Hi Steven
                                Does your new contact Ann have a christian name for Grandad Driscoll? If she was born sometime after 1949 I guess she wouldn't have known either of them.
                                I've been having another look at the photo of Ruby's gravestone where "Our dear brother Charlie" is also named on the stone. It's a pity we can't read the line underneath. It's something that ends with the word "by".
                                I think you said that the grave is no longer there but I wonder if the records for Ruby's burial still exist. It might tell you when the stone was erected & if Charlie's name was added at the same time as Rubys or later.
                                Moggie

Comment

• Surely the cemetery can give details of who is in the grave and who was buried there and when?

Which cemetery is it?

Margaret

Comment

• Do we know which area Charles died in please and could it have been after the second world war?
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• H this was the email I received from Manor Park when I enquired about the headstone for Ruby that has a Charles or Charlie on it

Dear Steven
                                      I am sorry to inform you that there are no Charles buried with Ruby
                                      It could be that the family put Charlie's name on the stone as a memorial to him
                                      I have been to see the grave to find out if there was a surname for Charlie
                                      I found the grave but unfortunately the stone has fallen forward so I couldn't see the front

Can't belive my luck that the stone has fallen over!!!!!! Ruby died in December 1939 and if they added Charles name later would that mean that he died after 1939?

Steven

Comment

• Is there a chance that Ruby was buried with someone else so that Charlie's name went on before her's?? The answer to your enquiry is I feel a little ambiguous in that it only answers the question but provides no confirmation that anyone else is in the same grave.

He could have already been dead when Ruby died but once there was somewhere to mark him that was done some time later.

Many headstone are fallen or even non-existent now having been moved so it's a bit of luck it's still there and could at a pinch be lifted to see what's on it.

Margaret
                                        Last edited by margaretmarch; 05-02-12, 13:13.

Comment

• There are these burials on deceasedonline.com from a search of Charles Ward 1935 -1945

WARD, CHARLES buried on: 07 May 1936 recorded at: West Ham Cemetery (Newham)
                                          Ward, Charles buried on: 25 May 1937 recorded at: Hampstead Cemetery (Camden)
                                          Ward, Charles buried on: 16 Feb 1945 recorded at: Seafield Cemetery (Edinburgh)
                                          Ward, Charles buried on: 21 Sep 1945 recorded at: St Pancras Cemetery (Camden)

Comment

Working...
                                          X