• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage check please

I probably have this one somewhere in my tree but just want to confirm it,

from freebmd
    Marriages Dec 1837 (>99%)
    Goulson Benjamin Newark 15 969

but no bride given for that page, can someone have a peep on ancestry etc please for her name.

Thanks
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

How confusing - both ancestry and find my past give Henry Warren.

No image in ancestry but there is in find my past.
    Last edited by Joy Dean; 14-06-11, 18:44.
    Joy

Comment

Same with freebmd and my time's up in the library, was just checking all the Ben Goulsons' but it looks like I only have one from the period. Weird

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I have just typed a long message Glen with some census refs etc but I had been timed out by the time I pressed send.
        I have found the page with the Benjamin Goulson ref on Ancestry again though, by trawling through from another name. I don't suppose that's much help though and I have lost all the other information I found - sorry. I haven't got time at the moment to find it all again.

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I'll have to pull together the bits from my TP site and archived stuff as I don't seem to have a "spare" Benjamin who was free to marry at the time. It's probably a bit much to hope he is from one of the as yet undiscovered branches that descend from siblings of the 1670's births I already have.

And i'll almost gaurantee he is married to a Mary and dad is called Ben or Joseph (don't ask how I know.........I just do :D)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hmm, slight correction to the above...........

Only possible chap I currently have is as follows

Goulson, Benjamin, born. 1813, Ropsley Lincolnshire
            died. 22 Aug 1876, Newark,district
            Baptism, 07 Jan 1813, Ropsley, Lincolnshire
            married. Stocks, Ann, 18 Aug 1844, Knipton,Leicester

I'm offline till tomorrow again, looks like a trawl through the IGI to see if there is a potential death of a spouse between 1837 and 1844.

Possible?
            Deaths Mar 1840 (>99%)
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOULSON Harriet Newark 15 455
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-06-11, 14:19.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Harriet Goulson buried 1840 Marston, Lincs, age 26, from the free burials index on fmp (possibly the National Burial Index)
              A marriage on FreeReg
              Marston St Mary
              7 December 1837
              Benjamin Emlson + Harriett Warren
              - no other details given
              also submitted on IGI several times as
              Benjamin Ealsom (or Ealson) + Harriet Warren

It could be misreading of Goulson from the parish register, as there's nothing like that name in the indexes that qtr Newark
              And Marston marriages transcribed on FreeReg and elsewhere to 1838 - so possibly they might have used up their old register for a bit alongside the new one
              they had to use from July 1837, a few places did this, and the marriage transcription is from the old one?

Henry Warren instead of Harriet in Dec qtr 1837, might be one of those errors that crept in when they retyped some of the early indexes many years ago

Comment

Ooh, I did wonder for a moment if the name Harriet would appear, not sure why but it leapt into my mind. I'm well used to variant spellings but Ealsom is a bit further than I would normally look at.

Marston certainly fits for members of the Goulson family and Harriet aged 26 or so in 1840 would match well for the Benjamin, I can feel my first pay slip will fund a couple of certs.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Right, with a bit of jiggery pokery I now have the 1841-1871 census images for Benjamin Goulson b1813. all at Marston, 1851 onwards with wife Ann and two with a visitor by the surname of Arnold (his niece Elizabeth as it happens).

1841 has him in a household with William Billings, just found this on freereg which seems to support the Warren connection;
                  Marriage, Marston;
                  29 Nov 1825
                  GroomForename William
                  GroomSurname BILLINGS
                  BrideForename Mary
                  BrideSurname WARREN

So it's a case of heading down the cert route just to see if the 1837 marriage is for this particular Benjamin, seems it should be but you can never be 100% certain.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                  X