No announcement yet.

Help finding a Birth reg Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure whether Val has any original certs, or whether they are all copies, in which case (copies) there is plenty of room for error between Truss/Cross.

But - there are births for both Alfred TRUSS and Alfred CROSS in the same years.

OC

Comment

Right have been over all the records I have copied and I am sure its the same man , he is not with his first wife in 1901 or 1911 although she says Married ,but with his second ? I cannot find a Alfred Cross born about the right time in St Oswalds Cheshire either where according to the Census records he is born , and Cross or Truss is a railway Clerk on almost all the census records?
      I am claiming him LOL

Comment

Yes, it is best to triple check at all times! At least that's what I do. Re the birth cert, I would ask for the father's name to be checked, to get, hopefully, the right one. Are the 2 births for the same place - Chester? I haven't checked. I just found the one for Truss and the bapt. IF Alfred did marry bigamously, then unless there is something to say he had been found out, he got away with it. Sorry to be so blunt. I suspect one of mine married again, bigamously, but can't confirm it. Makes you wonder who registered Alfred's death? And where he was buried and who with! And the Wills may help, for his father's/grandfather's, in that Alfred may be mentioned alongside his family?

Comment

I am so sorry, there ISN'T a birth for an Alfred CROSS after all, I was looking at, ahem, Albert!

I do apologise.

I agree, you need a few certs for this. The fact that the first wife died as TRUSS makes me think that the Cross name was a mistake, not a deliberate act on anyone's part.

OC

Comment

No problem - we all make them. : )
            Val has all the details so should be able to see if Alfred was deliberately misleading or if it was a mistake. I tend to think it was a mistake, as the names are so close - but I would want to be certain. If the birth reg and bapt is the correct one, for Truss, then where did Treason etc come into it? I know you can call yourself anything you like, as long as it is not for fraudulent purposes. This has been a very interesting case!
            What did Alfred marry Margaret as? Truss or Cross? What about her death, and her children's surnames. Alfred married both wives in a short space of time. It migh be an idea to check out a birth reg for one of his other children, by Margaret.

Comment

thats okay OC just made me check more thoroughly , I personally dont think his name change was a mistake ??? although I could be wrong.
              Its too much of a coincidence
              This is him with wife number one in 1891

this is him with wife number two in 1891

Would love it if somebody would take a look and see what they think ?
              Bearing in mind a lot of people lied on Census records
              Thanks

he married wife number two as Alfred Truss and had one child by her who never married have found her death.

He Thomas left his money to Sydney Truss his Engineer Son
              Last edited by Guest; 27-09-10, 11:58.

Comment

I can't access the census, but would love to see.

Comment

Treesa his Son Sydney who inherited his money is mentioned in the Newspaper articles

Comment

Fantastic, I didn't read them right through, just checked for Alfred. Was it for Saltney or the others?

Comment

yes it says Mr Sydney Truss and Mr Alfred Truss where you highlighted Alfred ?

Comment

Checking through there is a death for An ALfred T Cross 1911 Croydon, June qtr. Age 66 so bc 1845. Don't know who he is or what the T stands for, but I would check everything thoroughly. I am thinking that if he abandoned wife no.1 she may have registered his death after the legal time limit. Don't want to complicate matters, but neither do I want you going down the wrong path. Maybe getting the second marr cert would help.

Comment

yes thats the one Chrissie found his middle name was either Treason or Trevor ??? so another possibility ?

Comment

I've done quite a bit of work on the Truss family of Chester. Let me know if you want any info.

Comment

have pmd you thanks Lesley

Comment

Working...
                              X