Cert issued for the purpose of The Facory and Workshop act 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cert issued for the purpose of The Facory and Workshop act 1901

My bestest new contact has sent me copies of some Birth Certs and one is of a girl born 1902 Mile End ,at the top of the copy it has in Print
    This Certificate is not available for purposes of secondary education.
    (Issued for the purpose of The Factory and Workshop Act ,1901)
    It was applied for in 1916 .
    Any ideas ??? thanks

Off the top of my head, I think it would be to prove she was old enough to be employed in the job. I'll see if I can find something to confirm that...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

One of several acts, in this case possibly requiring a person to produce a birth certificate for particular purposes (eg register for national insurance contributions or claim unemployment benefit).

I'm just looking through some i have, there are a number of acts, unemployment benefit, widows benefit etc.
      I'll add some details if i find them.
      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 24-03-09, 14:50.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I've found quite a few posts etc around the web that say that Section 134 of the Factory and Workshop Act, 1901 said that children under 16 who were applying for a job had to prove they were old enough by producing a birth certificate (the minimum age for working in factories had been raised to 12).

And just to prove that people have been complaining about the cost of birth certificates for a long time:
        Charges for Certificates of Birth. (Hansard, 15 May 1907)
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thanks for your replies it may have been for her to work then ???? would make sense except we thought she had never worked as far as we know she didnt have to.

Comment

thanks Kite thats really interesting I wonder what she worked at then ,this is one of the children mentioned on my rellies army records ????

Comment

This is from an cert application probably from the late 1940's and lists some of the acts applicable at the time

This one is a cert issued on 1940 but the birth was 1909, "unemployment and insurance act"

This one issued in 1946 for a 1905 birth was needed for "widows, orphans and old age contributions act"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

1916 was during WW1. Not sure that all young women had to register for work, but perhaps she wanted to do some sort of war/voluntary work and needed to prove her age?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks for those images Glen I had no idea , and Janet I had not thought of that mmmmmmmm.

Comment

I have my grandmothers original BC "for purposes of employment", it is dated 13/12/1910 she was born 12/12/1898 so 1 day after 12th birthday off she trotted off t' mill.
                    It also says that cert is not available for purposes of secondary education
                    L

Comment

have you Leclerc??? this is the first one like it I've seen ,seems I have an awful lot to learn still??

Comment

My Dad's birth cert was obtained when he got his first job after leaving school.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have one of these Factory Act birth certificates for my Granny. She was born in 1891 and it was issued in 1907.

We also have the application form - I have put it on here because it might help to explain. The applicant was Granny's older sister. Their mother had died and father deserted them when they were little. Their own gran had looked after them until she died in Nov 1906. My Granny worked in an eiderdown factory when she started work.
                          Anne

Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 25-03-09, 13:36.

Comment

I have one for my gran, it's 1912...

Comment

I have one for my gran dated Sept 1914, just after declaration of WW1, my gran was only 18 months old at time so don't think hers was for work. Maybe also used for parish relief when men went off to war?

Comment

hello Janie thought I was seeing things you dug this up from so long ago LOL, its amazing what we learn from all this isnt it ??

Comment

Working...
                                X