No announcement yet.

Another last ditch effort (sorry Glen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another last ditch effort (sorry Glen)

After putting the photos of my great grandfathers grave on General, a couple of questions were asked, so i thought i would put on here what i know about him and see if your great minds can find any thing.

John Tomlinson was born in Belper Derbyshire 1842/1844??????

I first find him on the 1861 census, where he is a groom for the Rector of Norbury, IMAGE says age 19
    Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 1954; Folio: 5; Page: 3; GSU roll: 542893.

He marries Mary Spencer 13 Dec 1863 at St Pauls church Derby, father is George Tomlinson, occupation Blacksmith, witnesses were John Tomlinson and Sarah Calladine

I have traced these 2 witnesses though the census, in 1861 they lived next door to each other in Little Chester, which is the address on John and Marys marriiage cert, without finding a connection, although Sarah went on to marry a Jabez Tomlinson a few years later, whose family came from Leicestershire, but still no connection there.

!871 census has him living at Canal Side Derby, occupation Ostler, IMAGE says age 27
    Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3562; Folio: 82; Page: 1; GSU roll: 839766.

20 Sept 1875 Joins Derby police force age 32, records say he was 5 foot 8 inches and born in Belper, but no birthdate on them (so disappointed)

1878 sees him get a Royal Humane Society Award for trying to rescue a man from the Derby Canal, i have the paperwork for this and newpaper article.

1881 census, living at 39 Kedleston Road Derby, Occupation Police constable, IMAGE says age 37
    Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3406; Folio: 17; Page: 28; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341815.

1891 census, living at 38 Walker Street Derby, occupation Police constable, IMAGE says age 47
    Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2738; Folio 23; Page 40; GSU roll: 6097848.

17 Feb 1892 for health reasons, hes pensioned from the Police force at 15/- per week

25 June 1895 dies aged 51 years and 7 months of TB at 6 Kedleston Street Derby

The ages i have are from the Images not the transcription of the census.

If anyone can find John before the 1861 census, or his birth Please, i will be forever gratefull

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Just to add, i did find a ADULT baptism on IGI at Norbury and Roston in 1861 with only a mother Mary, someone looked it up at Derby RO and John was a laborour, my John was a laborour on his marriage cert in 1863, but i`m not sure its him.

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Can you conform that not only was the Groom JOHN TOMLINSON ,so was one of the witnesses?
      IGI hasn't come up with a christening
      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 04-02-09, 08:39.
      Jess

Comment

Yes i can Jess, i believe the witness was a Plumber and Glacier born abt 1833
        Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2497; Folio: 111; Page: 6; GSU roll: 542980.
        Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 04-02-09, 08:51.
        Sylvia

Comment

Good chance here 1851 living with father George and mother Ann.
          HO107, piece 2336, Folio 398, page 5.

Comment

Thank you Alan, but that one is still with his parents in 1861

Sylvia
            Sylvia

Comment

Working...
            X