Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question about viewing transcripts on latest census

I am a bit cross :(

I only got the transcript for my great aunt as she is a "twig" on my tree, but I have now realised that although I got the transcript only her name appeared, yet I have now found by searching she was in fact living with her niece & her family at the same address! Why then do I have to pay again to view other members in the same household?

:(

Joanie

She is probably recorded as a lodger in the household and as such is on a separate sheet.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      She is probably recorded as a lodger in the household and as such is on a separate sheet.

Really Elaine? Does that mean if I look at the original I won't be able to see her living with the main family then?

I have also just noticed my 80 year old great great aunt also at the same address! There are 20 people living at the same address so it must be a lodgings house. This is very annoying !

Joanie

Comment

I think that when they make the enumerators' books available you will get to see everyone at the address - though I'm not sure if that is only if you've paid for the image?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have had a number of transcripts where it showed the male of the house as WIFE and only person there even though I knew he was not the only.

On two occasions I purchased the image to find I was correct and they are all there.

Reported them as transcription errors.

That's the real problem, humans make mistakes
          1. when they fill the census in with names DoB etc
          2. when it is transcribed from the original image

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I haven't ventured into paying territory. I've found out enough to satisfy my curiosity.
            Last edited by KiteRunner; 02-02-09, 22:53.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If you purchase a transcript for the head of the household you get all the people present.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

That's right - if they are all in the same household, but if there is more than one household at the same address, you won't get them all for the price of one.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Guy

Obviously she wasn't the head then, lol!!

Very annoying I think, at least on Ancestry you get the whole household when you find a person, there is always a chance there is a relationship between the people living at the same address. If I buy the original transcript will I get to see all the others in the household I wonder? Maybe not if they are split over 2 pages :(

Joanie

Comment

The search of an address will throw up everyone in every household at the address (sometimes the entire street, which isn't a lot of help).
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The transcription (and also the original image) will show everyone who is on the same schedule, but not necessarily everyone who is at the same address. There may be several families sharing a single dwelling, so an address search may well find people who are spread across more than one schedule. If you wanted to get the image or transcript for everyone at that address, you would have to pay once for each schedule on which the names occur.

Comment

Joanie, you will just have to be patient and wait for the enumerators books to be available! :p

Comment

I wanted to find out if my g grandparents were still living together in 1911, and it appears not, she appears in the Manchester area and he in Prestwich.

By searching for Surname living with Surname only in Prestwich, I discovered, his parents and one brother were also living with him, and two of his children !! By searching for their surname with his sisters married name, I discovered the other two sons. No addresses yet, no transcripts or images, but enough to satisfy my curiosity about the family.
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia
                          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

When the enumerator books are available will we have to pay twice - to see the census completed by our relatives and again for the enumerator books or will it be a 2 for 1?
                            Kit

Comment

Working...
                            X