• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts please about census entries

Hi,
    I have an 1841 census entry that states that Ellen RICHARDSON is a widow,
    age 35.
    William RICHARDSON aged 18, and a Joiner.
    Other family followed, but am concentrating on Ellen and William.
    They lived at Alston, Cumberland.

I know that ages on the 1841 census are rounded down.

On 1851 census at Alston, Cumberland
    William RICHARDSON, Head, married, age 35, Lead miner, born at Alston, Cumberland.
    Ellen RICHARDSON, wife, married, age 47, born at Alston, Cumberland.

On 1861 census at Nenthead, Parish of Alston
    Ellen Richardson, head, miners widow, aged 59.
    Living with her son James, aged 19.

I'm puzzled about Ellen being a widow in 1841 and then being married to William in the 1851 census. I am wondering if the William she was married to is the same one in the 1841 census, despite the age difference (I know that the 1841 census was rounded down) Ellen was at least 12 years older than William.
    I did do a quick look for William's death, but there are too many William Richardsons in the same area to know if it was the right one.
    I'm not bothered about finding his death entry.

Do you think that the William in 1841 is the same one in 1851?

Jan

It does seem odd.

IN 1861, there's a younger Ellen RICHARDSON in Alston - married to an absent "joiner", and living in the Butts, Alston - which all tangles in nicely - especially with an IGI marriage 9 AUG 1860 Alston (M000201) between William RICHARDSON and Ellen ARCHER.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks very much Christine for the info from the IGI.
      It was certainly puzzling me!

Jan

Comment

Working...
      X