Ackworth school - some great stuff on google books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ackworth school - some great stuff on google books

Ackworth school - co-educational boarding school in Yorkshire, founded by the Society of Friends. (Quite a lot of girls attended.)
    There is now some good stuff on google books, including a history of the school, with illustrated plates of buildings.

The History of Ackworth School - Google Book Search

Also on there is the catalogue of pupils for the first 50/60 years, giving name, home town, year of entry, year of leaving.
    However, the fees seem to have gone up over the last 230 years :D

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Janet,

My ancestor Daniel Jeffcoat was there as well as some of his brothers and sisters. He was sent from Buckinghamshire and they didn't come home for 2 years.

His sister Rebecca Jeffcoat did one of the Ackworth tapestries and my daughter did a replica for my Chirstmas present!

Find the perfect handmade gift, vintage & on-trend clothes, unique jewelry, and moreā€¦ lots more.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oooh, I'm off to have a look! A smattering of my tree were pupils there.

Thanks very much Janet

Comment

looks lovely, Elizabeth - must have been a real labour of love by your daughter.

Have you seen the lovely line drawings of the school buildings? I was so pleased to view those - the buildings have been much modified over the years and it is difficult to envisage what life was like for the pupils, from contemporary views.

Merry I believe out old friend William Tuke may have been consulted about plans for premises and principles.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My sister-in-law's sister attended Ackworth in the 1960s and was very happy there.

When my ancestor and siblings were there I think there probably weren't many home comforts.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
          X