No announcement yet.

Irish registration Indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucky you Sarah! Fortunately I don't need this cert to tell me much, it would just have been nice to have it.
    Lynn

Comment

Cloggie

Make sure you click on Europe and then on the Ireland Civil Registration Indexes so that you're only searching that database. I've also found that clicking on "Refine search" and changing the contents of the boxes that way works better than "New search", as "New search" seems to automatically search all the databases (including American, etc.).
      Thanks for that. I did have a play around later on and found five births out of 8 that I was interested in and have now changed my tree slightly to accommodate different year births which is great and when able I can also obtain some birth certs!

I have also learnt how to do quotes on here

One or two points of possible interest for those searching but not finding.

I do happen to know that Birr would be the nearest registration district for anybody born in Shannon Harbour and will therefore be the Registration District for many miles around that area so like in the UK finding an Oundle birth will not mean that person is born in Oundle but may actually be born several miles away in one of the hamlets. So to in Ireland and you all still may have to wait for the Census to see where your folk are actually living before purchasing certs unles you are absolutely sure that the one you have found is yours.

I have still to find 3 births in this area of Birr which were not coming up last night. Now my grandparents had 10 children, 8 of whom were born in Shannon Harbour so to make that trip of many miles into Birr to register a birth was not always on the mind of a disracted mother, when having to take all those children with her as well. They were not alone in having a big family so if you cannot find births do bear in mind that not all were registered! BUT most will be baptised so....look for the church record!

One other tip! Have just found the other 3 in Birr by inputting name and County Offaly, leaving out Birr. That brought up the 3 most probable for me in the right time frames and in Birr, BUT all three had middle names and this seemed to cause a blip when I just input their one first name and Birr Co Offaly.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 27-01-09, 10:45.

Comment

Just found 2 birth registrations of my Irish Mum's sisters! My late Mum only ever had a Baptism certificate..(so no idea where she was living in 1916 in Dublin) as did one of her late sisters, Angie, who destroyed all her certificates a month before she died. So now I know that Angie's birth was registered...I can order the certificate not just for me but for my cousin who was gutted to find that her Mum had destroyed her Baptism certificate. Aunt Angie always said that her birth wasn't registered like my Mum's. You live and learn!

So wonderful to be able to order the certificates to find out where exactly my Mum and her family were living in Ireland in the early 1920's.

Also found the birth registration of my cousin, who died as a toddler in the London Blitz. I knew he was born in Ireland but as his father was in the Army I didn't know which county he was born in..and there he was in Dublin! Also found his sister's birth registration too, my late cousin Dolores, who died in the States.
        Yippee!

Can't pin down any deaths of my Gran's siblings though..so many Patrick, John and Peter Brady's!!
        teresa

Comment

I've had a reply to my suggestion of making "other names on page" available in the marriage searches:

Thank you for your feedback and your suggestion that users be able to view "other names on page". Your comments will be passed along for future consideration. Record Search values the feedback it receives from its users.

Record Search is still under development. This release is considered a pilot. This means that at times, Record Search will not be available while additional records are added and some features are improved. We may also remove record collections that have been on the site previously. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We look forward to receiving your feedback.
          Sarah

Comment

I've found the death of my Gt Grandmother in Co Fermanagh. Still can't nail her marriage or birth but I'm really chuffed.
            Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
            X