Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janet View Post
    Cloggie

I can access the page you have given me and I have worked through several steps to download Adobe Flash but I keep coming up against the same message which says I may need to click on the gold bar at the top of the browser window to allow installation, but I have no gold bar to click on to!! There is a black bar which I have tried but that is no good either. I have tried several times and get the same answer. At one point I was lead to a purchase window for Adobe Flash but it is free isn't it, mind you it was only just over £5 for 3 years and I was tempted but then wondered if it was correct. I have also tried to google and get in another way but no use either!:(:(

Can't believe this! Will have another go later. Have had enough for now!
    Argh, that's so frustrating for you! :(
    It does sound like something might be blocking the ActiveX control thingy as described on that troubleshoot page. Doesn't any of this help?

Before installing Flash Player, please check the following browser settings:

Internet Explorer ActiveX settings
    Browser security settings should be chosen by you or by your system administrator. For single users who do not have an administrator, the Medium: Default Level allows you to view Flash content. For any Custom Level, ensure that both the "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" options are set to "Prompt".

To change your security level:

Open Internet Explorer.
    Choose Tools > Internet Options.
    Select the Security tab.
    Select Custom Level.
    Find the section "ActiveX controls and plug-ins".
    Set ' Download Signed ActiveX Controls' to Prompt.
    Set 'Run ActiveX Controls And Plug-ins' to Prompt.
    If you are having trouble installing, make sure that your Internet Explorer security level is not set to High or to a custom level that does not allow viewing of ActiveX controls.

3rd Party 'Flash Player' CleanersIn some cases you may have run a non-Adobe 'fix' for Flash Player permission problems. In some cases these tools can actually cause further Flash Player problems. If you have run any type of registry cleaner or other fix tool Adobe suggests you run the /clean uninstaller discussed in "Safe versions security restrictions when installing Flash Player" (TechNote kb402435), then reinstall Flash Player.

Internet utilities blocking Flash PlayerSome Internet utilities, such as Norton Internet Utilities, perform functions similar to a firewall and may restrict viewing of ActiveX controls, and in some cases specifically blocking Flash content. You need to ensure that your firewall or utility settings are set to allow ActiveX controls and Flash (SWF) content.
    Sarah

Comment

Cloggie

I think you are right about the active x controls bit and I have played around with my firewall but I am worried about playing too much with the computer as I am the expert in the house!! And believe me I am not that confident on playing around but I will go and have a cup of tea and then look into the control panel!

Janet

Comment

Eeek! I know what you mean Janet - I'm the computer "expert" here too, so if I break it nobody else can fix it for me. Maybe you can just temporarily turn off your firewall to download/install Flash Player, and the turn the firewall back on again, rather than changing any settings?
        Actually, maybe it's a good idea to post a new thread in Computer Help section and see if a real expert like Grimsqueaker can help?
        Sarah

Comment

Sarah - sorry to be slow thanking you - I was just trying it out with your advised method and can now see Michael and Mary. Thank you!

Can't understand why Rose wouldn't be on there for the correct year though, given the supposed source on the IGI.

A new puzzle now though - if I follow the above steps to try to find more possible siblings for the above-named by putting only the surname Hyland, Westmeath, then, on the results page, event and date, no results come up at all for Athlone, even for Michael and Rose.:(
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Yes it is strange that Rose doesn't appear - I wonder if maybe 1878 was mistrancscribed as 1873?
            Also, I didn't scroll down all the way to see if there were any Rose Hylands without a year of birth. Because I have found several entries with the year/quarter missing in the transcription, because they don't appear at the top of the image. But you can click on the previous or next image to find out the year/quarter in those cases.

Off to see if I can make sense of your latest puzzle... back in a bit... ;)

EDIT: I'm back. The other Hylands in Athlone start appearing on the second result page with the search narrowed to 1870-1871. I did notice yesterday when I was searching for OH's records in Ballymahon that they always appeared after other Westmeath records. I wonder if that's because Ballymahon registration district is "Longford or Westmeath". Similarly, Athlone is "Roscommon or Westmeath" and Tullamore is "Offaly or Westmeath" and Granard is "Cavan or Longford or Westmeath", etc.
            I just tried searching for Hyland in Roscommon, and in that case some of the Athlone Hylands appear on the first page of results.
            Last edited by Cloggie; 26-01-09, 15:13.
            Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah - you've been outstandingly patient with me! The "or" qualification in the transcriptions seem the likely explanation. Given the unusual features of the searches on the site, I'm not sure I will ever feel confident I have found all the births for x name in y district in a given period!

In the meantime, the images have disappeared from the results pages for me, so I'll have to try your suggestion re previous and next image for Rose later (assuming the images return!)

Coincidentally, was just reading the "how to read the record" link on there and one of OH's - Catherine M Dalton of Tralee - is on the late registration example page lol
              Gillian

Comment

There is a feedback button at the top-right of the page, which you can use to make comments, suggestions, etc. I have already sent a suggestion, asking if they can have a facility similar to FreeBMD where you can see all the names on the page in the Marriage results. So far I have just received an automated reply saying that they have received my message.
                I was also thinking of sending another suggestion asking if they can add the Registration District names to the places available for entering into the search form.

Hope you get your images back soon! What a coincidence finding your OH's relative on the example page!

EDIT: my images have now disappeared too!!
                Last edited by Cloggie; 26-01-09, 15:58.
                Sarah

Comment

Excellent idea re the marriage results. I'll add that one too, plus the addition of Registration Districts in the search form.

Sorry about your missing images - but I'm quite relieved as I was beginning to think I must have imagined seeing them earlier today lol On the Index of Collections page, it still says no images for Ireland :(
                  Gillian

Comment

Janet, the system requirements for Flash Player 10 are different from the ones for Flash Player 9, that's why I asked. I really can't see why they have to make the whole thing need Flash 10.
                    Gillian, the entries on the IGI with parents' names are from the actual certificates. And there are transcription errors on the new site so if you can't find someone, it's worth getting the image of the page up anyway to see if they are there.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It was Wendy's question (post #11) that prompted me to send in the suggestion about the marriage results.
                      I do find it strange that it has said "no images" for the Irish records all along. Hope we get them back soon - they are particularly handy when no year/quarter is mentioned in the transcription!
                      Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                        Gillian, the entries on the IGI with parents' names are from the actual certificates. And there are transcription errors on the new site so if you can't find someone, it's worth getting the image of the page up anyway to see if they are there.
                        Thanks Kite - I never knew that about the IGI transcriptions!

Hope the images come back soon and I can start checking the pages in view of what you say about the mistranscriptions.

I'm feeling like a begiinner all over again getting to grips with the search methods on there (or rather, not getting to grips and shouting for help on here!) I've decided it's no bad thing to have a reminder of what it was like!
                        Gillian

Comment

Kite and Cloggie,

Thanks for all your help. It is me getting mixed up with Adobe Reader 9 which I have and Adobe Flash 10 which I cannot get. I have now established it is a problem with me and Internet Explorer, which I never use, as I am on AOL!! I could correct this, if I could access Internet Explorer toolbar which I can't!! I could download one through Yahoo, but then that may well mess up the computer and my access to the internet through AOL so I will sleep on it for the present!:(

I really can do no more today on this. I may have to wait until the pilot is no longer pilot and hopefully I may not need the Adobe Flash! It does not sound as though anyone else has a problem!

Family History is one thing but computers.................

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 26-01-09, 16:28.

Comment

Janet, I'm sure I would be screaming if I was still using our old computer which wouldn't be up to the spec for Flash 10 and then as I said, the library computer hasn't got it either.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

This is really annoying, I was hoping that this index would help me find my g grandfather's birth cert, but I can't find him. :( His name was Francis Samuel Stowell & he was born in January 1871 in Waterford Ireland, whilst his father was serving with the KDG there. his birth desn't appear on the Army lists & he doesn't appear on the Irish index either, most annoying!
                              Lynn

Comment

Kite and Cloggie.

I got there!!:D:D:D I had blocks which I managed to get rid of via the Internet Explorer toolbar which was hidden on the right, but because I never use IE I found it difficult to find, then I got rid of some other things through the Control Panel, though I may be able to put them back as I have sorted it through IE. I then went to install Adobe Flash 10, no problems this time so I then tried the site and it works so thanks both for pointing me in the right direction. I was determined not to let it beat me:D

Now I need to look at it but I really am too tired now. My first attempt brought up some American births which is not what I want!! Just tried a second time. Hm, it's not going toe esay finding O'Neill BMD even knowing the town!

Thankyou Lovetpond for drawing our attention to this site.

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 26-01-09, 20:12.

Comment

Janet, glad to hear you've got there at last!

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
                                  This is really annoying, I was hoping that this index would help me find my g grandfather's birth cert, but I can't find him. :( His name was Francis Samuel Stowell & he was born in January 1871 in Waterford Ireland, whilst his father was serving with the KDG there. his birth desn't appear on the Army lists & he doesn't appear on the Irish index either, most annoying!
                                  Lynn, some of mine whose father was in the army (serving at Curragh Camp Kildare) in the late 1860's / early 1870's don't seem to be on the indexes either, including my great-grandmother who was born in 1869. I wonder whether the army had some other way of recording births in Ireland at the time?
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, I've just discovered you don't have to put a name in on the search!
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Tip for those looking for Irish Certs

In addtion to filming the indexes, the LDS also managed to film alot of the original certificate books for Irish registration ( NOT northern Ireland tho)

At their centre at Hyde park in London I looked at microfilms of the actual entries in the books and got copies for 30p a go.

It may be worth you while if you find your index entries, approaching your local LDS centre to see if the year you are after was filmed and if they will order it in for you. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                        Now I need to look at it but I really am too tired now. My first attempt brought up some American births which is not what I want!! Just tried a second time. Hm, it's not going toe esay finding O'Neill BMD even knowing the town!
                                        Janet
                                        Glad you've finally got it sorted Janet! Make sure you click on Europe and then on the Ireland Civil Registration Indexes so that you're only searching that database. I've also found that clicking on "Refine search" and changing the contents of the boxes that way works better than "New search", as "New search" seems to automatically search all the databases (including American, etc.).
                                        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                          Lynn, some of mine whose father was in the army (serving at Curragh Camp Kildare) in the late 1860's / early 1870's don't seem to be on the indexes either, including my great-grandmother who was born in 1869. I wonder whether the army had some other way of recording births in Ireland at the time?
                                          I only have one whose father was in the army and who was supposed to have been born in Waterford in 1870 according to the census. I wasn't very hopeful of finding her, but I've just found a matching birth entry for the right name in 1870 in Waterford. Won't know it's her for sure yet until I get the cert of course... Now to figure out how to order certs/copies with these references we're finding!
                                          Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                          X