No announcement yet.

Irish registration Indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info, Sarah. Hmmm... that could explain why I haven't found a marriage or death for my great-aunt as she would have been in N Ireland.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ooh, I've found a birth and death which I think might be one of my family - I've had a look at the application form on the GRO Ireland website that you can download and print off to order a certificate, but it doesn't seem to have boxes to fill in for district, volume and page number which you would get from the indexes. Is there anyone around who has ordered certificates this way before who can reassure me that I would be o.k. ordering just giving the info from the index?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Found several interesting entries for Stack family in Mallow, Cork.
        Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

I've been wondering the same thing Kite. The GRONI site explains how to go about finding the index number when visiting their public search room and says Copies of certificates relating to any entries traced may be purchased at a cost of £6.00 each but cannot be provided immediately. The certificates can either be collected from the GRO or posted to the applicant.
          But their online order form also does not appear to provide the option of ordering by filling in the district, volume and page number.
          Sarah

Comment

I have not been able to access this site as all I get is a black screen with "Flash Player" at the top and nowhere how I obtain this. Can someone help me with this please?

Janet

Comment

Adobe Flash Player
              KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kite.

I am still unable to access but I have had problems with installing flash in the past so i will have to perservere!! I have just downloaded but it won't work for me.

Janet

Comment

Failing that, maybe you can use a library computer to search the site if there is lots you want to look at? Or if it's just a few entries you want you could post it up and we'll have a look on your behalf (I bet you've got loads though!)
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Janet, maybe this will help: Troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player installation for Windows
                    Sarah

Comment

I was going to suggest you could try getting an older version of Flash, but I've just noticed that the Irish GRO index stuff doesn't work with version 9 (I'm on the library computer at the moment because I wanted a look at the 19th century British Library newspapers). Er, so if your library is like mine that might be no good either!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Kite,

Sorry, went out so not been around. I have Adobe Player 9 on my computer but have always had trouble with downloading flash player as I get so far and then it tells me to click on the gold bar above, but there is never a gold bar to click on to!! I am on AOL so do not know if there is a problem there. I also have only windows XP and not Vista.

Do you know if Cork City and Shannon Harbour in Co Offaly or Kings County as it was back then available to view? These are my main interests for post 1864 and yes I have a lot, so I am not expecting any one to do this for me!!!

Cloggie

I will try the link that you have suggested later and come back if that does not work. Thanks for that.

Janet

Comment

Janet, it's the Irish national GRO indexes (plus "overseas") so all the counties will be included, at least up to 1922.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kite,

That is absolutely brilliant. A pity I can't get on to the site, and just my luck!!! I will keep trying.

Cloogie

That link is no good to me either! I know my computer skills are not brilliant but I can usually access sites I want to but not this time! Groan.

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 26-01-09, 14:12.

Comment

Have you checked the system requirements for Flash Player 10, Janet?
                              Adobe - Flash Player 10: System requirements
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                That link is no good to me either! I know my computer skills are not brilliant but I can usually access sites I want to but not this time! Groan.
                                Do you mean you can't access the troubleshooting page, or that the solutions offered don't work? If it's the troubleshooting page you can't access, see if you can get to it by googling: troubleshoot flash player
                                Or maybe this "permanent link" as shown at the bottom of the troubleshooting page will work: View Document

It does suggest quite a few possible solutions, such as uninstalling & reinstalling, or disabling pop-up blockers and Norton utilities that may interfere with Flash Player. The internet utilities thing sounds like a possibility, as they can block ActiveX Controls, which could be the gold bar at the top of the screen that you're not seeing.

If you still can't view the troubleshooting page, let me know and I can copy & mail the text to you.
                                Last edited by Cloggie; 26-01-09, 14:26.
                                Sarah

Comment

Is there a simple way of getting to the overseas index pages to look through them year by year, anybody know?
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                    Janet, it's the Irish national GRO indexes (plus "overseas") so all the counties will be included, at least up to 1922.
                                    I'm getting really confused

I have a Rose Hyland from the IGI born 31/10/1873 Westmeath, Ireland

The film is "Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955, with index to births, 1864-1921 Ireland. General Register Office"

As well as a specific date, her parents names are on the IGI so it is obviously not the same index as the one transcribed on FamilySearch Record Search

From the IGI, I also have an extracted birth of Mary Hyland, 9/4/1869 Westmeath with batch number but no source call number (I have a baptism for her 11/4/1869 from another site), and an extracted Michael Hyland birth 5/10/1871, Westmeath, no source number.

I can't find any of them on the FamilySearch Record Search site whatever permutation of search terms I try.

Can anyone else please? And, if so, could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?
                                    Gillian
                                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

No idea how to do that Kite.

Just saw the following on this site: Irish civil registration - a brief history and overview of where to find Irish vital records
                                      Late, overseas and military registrations Each volume of the Irish civil registration indexes has a section at the back where late registrations were recorded. These may have been late by only a day or so. Or they may have been years late.

From 1879 there are also separate pages for the registrations of overseas births and deaths for Irish soldiers and Irish civil servants.

I thought maybe you could just search for whatever year, click on an image for that year, and then go to the last image but that doesn't work. :(

Just tried a search leaving everything blank and only entering Punjab, India. Then clicked on a result and then on the image - and all the names in that image are overseas. Would something like that work for you in combination with adding a year or range of years?
                                      Sarah

Comment

Cloggie

I can access the page you have given me and I have worked through several steps to download Adobe Flash but I keep coming up against the same message which says I may need to click on the gold bar at the top of the browser window to allow installation, but I have no gold bar to click on to!! There is a black bar which I have tried but that is no good either. I have tried several times and get the same answer. At one point I was lead to a purchase window for Adobe Flash but it is free isn't it, mind you it was only just over £5 for 3 years and I was tempted but then wondered if it was correct. I have also tried to google and get in another way but no use either!:(:(

Can't believe this! Will have another go later. Have had enough for now!

Kite

I have Adobe 9 but have not seen Adobe 10 to download.
                                        Last edited by Janet; 26-01-09, 15:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                                          I'm getting really confused

I have a Rose Hyland from the IGI born 31/10/1873 Westmeath, Ireland

The film is "Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955, with index to births, 1864-1921 Ireland. General Register Office"

As well as a specific date, her parents names are on the IGI so it is obviously not the same index as the one transcribed on FamilySearch Record Search

From the IGI, I also have an extracted birth of Mary Hyland, 9/4/1869 Westmeath with batch number but no source call number (I have a baptism for her 11/4/1869 from another site), and an extracted Michael Hyland birth 5/10/1871, Westmeath, no source number.

I can't find any of them on the FamilySearch Record Search site whatever permutation of search terms I try.

Can anyone else please? And, if so, could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?
                                          Can't find a Rose Hyland in 1873 in Westmeath, but I can find:
                                          - a Rose Hyland born 1874 in Mullingar Registration District, Westmeath, and also one registered in Athlone in 1878.
                                          - a Mary Hyland birth registered in Athlone in 1869.
                                          - a Michael Hyland born 1871, Athlone Registration District, Westmeath

I only entered the names and Westmeath, Ireland. Make sure you search for "Exact, close and partial" (not "Exact & close match"). Then I narrowed by "event type" and "date" on the results page (click on links at top of page).
                                          Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                          X