Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol! And is there a death cert?

Comment

I'm confused (quite easily done). Whose death are we looking for on SP, where and when?
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Potentially there are two UJ!

One person has an Alexander McKerrow on their tree who died in Perth in Oct 1927 aged 95.

I think they may possibly have the same baptism record for their chap as gloryer has for hers, but gloryer's relative is supposed to have died in Douglas Lanarkshire in 1909 (don't know date)

So we need to know if there is a death in 1909 for Alexander McKerrow as well as the 1927 one (which I'm sure must be there)

Comment

I made a mistake in my last post!

The "other" chap was the son of Peter and Isobel and born 29 Sep 1833 Springkell, Dumfriesshire,

Gloryer's was bap 23 JUL 1835 Douglas, Lanark, Scotland the son of Alexander and Jane.

I'm thinking maybe there were two men, but Gloryer's relative wasn't the one who was at the Indian Mutiny and Crimea?? Or were both of them there?

The chap who lived to 95 spent some time in Malta by the look of it. (for the sunshine?!!)

Comment

Right then. I haven't any SP credits but have narrowed it down to:

Born 1832, died 1927 Perth city

Born 1836, died 1909 Douglas Lanarkshire.

So by forking out £1.20 for an image of the Douglas one, that can either come up trumps or be discounted.

And another £1.20 does the same for the Perth one.

There is hardly anything else anywhere near the time-frame (+/- 10 years or more) of either of them within their respective counties. The index entries (20 p a go) will give a good flavour.

So £6.00 well spent, and a pile of credits left over.

Comment

So, looks like def two men, the question is, did they both serve in the same army campaigns or was it only the Perth chap who did and Gloryer's mum's cousin has assumed the info relates to her chap?

Going out now!

Comment

My gggrandfather has 1909 on his headstone!!!! If that helps.
                My Alexander was in the Blackwatch and served at the crimean and indian mutiny. It just seems a bit odd that when we have done searches before I never came across this other Alexander McKerrow who also served in the same conflicts. Now mums cousin is saying this is our mans cousin but I cant find a connection. Mine were certainly in Perth as I have seen their old house in Crieff and my great grandfather is buried in Crieff but great great grandfather Alexander McKerrow is buried at Douglas Lanrkshire 1909.

Comment

so if I go on SP and look at the death of the 1927 Perth one will that confirm his parents.?

Comment

I think the death record should give the father's name and mum's maiden name, but I'm no expert of Scottish records.

If you were looking at Crimea/Indian Mutiny records for someone called Alexander McKerrow, what would tell you who they belonged to?

Is it possible that the records your mum's cousin has are for two different men, but he/she thinks they are all for your man?

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                      so if I go on SP and look at the death of the 1927 Perth one will that confirm his parents.?
                      You will get both parents' names including mmn, so far as the informant knew.
                      And you'll see the informant's actual signature.

The index entry will just give the year and the district name and ref. for the death registration.

Comment

I will look later today on SP as I have a list somewhere of things I need to look for next time I get credit on there so will have to prioritise my list!!

I think whoever cut out the photo from the paper has caused confusion as it says A McKerrow. Maybe they cut it out knowing who it was but then mums cousin has thought it was our direct line as there was no other info kept with the picture. I can feel a trip to scotland in my bones..lol .I will write to mums cousin as his hearing isnt very good and with his accent and a bottle of scotch down him makes it difficult on the phone. I will send him copies of the autogragh and the newspaper article and see what his response is to it all.

Comment

That sounds like a great idea!

Comment

Well thats cleared this one up!!
                            I didnt realise that the deaths on Scotlandspeople also gives parents names and mothers maiden names so I have just confirmed what I already had on my man and the Alexander McKerrow featured in the autograph book and newspaper article is son of George McKerrow and Elizabeth Williamson. Not son of Peter as somebody has on their tree. I did have his parents on my tree but he is not a blood relation as there are 2 sets of McKerrow 'origins' and coming forward a couple of generations the Sowerston lot marry the Lanarkshire lot.

Although I havent finished searching yet. He may yet be a blood relative after all.
                            Last edited by gloryer; 24-01-09, 15:53.

Comment

Scottish certificates are a mine of information.

Comment

Working...
                              X