No announcement yet.

Getting rather desperate, and very confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, just to clarify a few points raised, my grandmother was born in 1881 and the reason for the gap of seven years between her sister Mary being born and grandmother was that there were two two infant deaths in 1875 and 1877, followed by a son in 1878.
    Mary was definitely the daughter of my great grandparents because I have the birth certificate and she was born a year after their marriage (just!).

She is on the 1901 census, living with her husband, but no children, and she died later in 1901 - am awaiting the death certificate, but she was only 27.

Jammy Dodger, you are wonderful to have found Charles with Fred, and a probable sister in the orphanage - this would fit, because on the marriage cert. Charles puts his father as deceased.

Now don't laugh at me anybody please, but how the blazes do I key in the reference numbers in Ancestry?? On the new format I can't find it anywhere.
    oh, it's okay I found it but it's not exactly obvious is it!

Jammy Dodger, although the date of birth is right for Charles and there is indeed a Fred in the household, the place of birth doesn't tally - still it might be right yet, and I will investigate further so thank you a million times for finding that one. As to his sister in the institution, that is a strong possibility as the place of birth is right. You have been most helpful
    Last edited by sally; 21-01-09, 19:29.
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

You have to click up on the right to go back to the previous search method.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you for that JBee, I have found that you can also do it in the new search method by typing in the references in the bottom box, but that seems to be a secret that Ancestry are keeping to themselves!!

I am pretty certain that the Charles Jammy Dodger found living with a cousin Fred is not the right one, but you never know - I have finally found a birth for Charles Mitchell in Richmond in 1875........and if this is correct then he did indeed tell fiblets about his age when he got married, cos he was not yet 21 as he stated.
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

The anomaly with his place of birth is easily explained Darlington is close enough to Richmond a relative who does not know exact details of the birth would name the nearest big town

Comment

you may well be right there - there are no matching Darlington births that I can find

Comment

Working...
            X