1911 census - wildcard searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census - wildcard searches

Wildcard searches now seem to be possible.
    You need to click on "show advanced fields" which will show you options available. An explanation of the wild card search is available if you click on the question mark on the right hand side column of search page.

Happy hunting.

(Thanks to Maudarby for this info!)
    Elaine

Hi Elaine
    I was just about to post a thread about this when I had a chap at the door trying to convert me to Virgin media, so you saved me the trouble. I do second what you say about reading how to do the wildcard searches. There doesn't seem to be a soundex/varient choice but I may have missed it.
    Moggie

Comment

Thanks, Elaine, but it isn't working properly yet - how annoying :(

It says in the explanation that you can use a wildcard as the first letter of a name, but when you do, you get an error message.

Comment

I've just noticed that as well Mary. Oh well, bit by bit!
        Elaine

Comment

and you can view your images on the site now too

Comment

It's painfully slow for me. I wonder if that has anything to do with the introduction of the facility to view the images.

I just wish they had been able to put Durham and Wales on before finessing what is already there.:(
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I'm puzzled about why some people previously said you couldn't view images on the site, and they're now saying you can. I've always been able to, ever since the beta test period.

I wonder if it depends on which browser you use? (I'm using Firefox)

Comment

Wilcards aren't working at all for me in any part of the surname, front back or middle.

Yes I have always been able to view images. Perhaps it depended on which county or some other problem with some images.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                  Wilcards aren't working at all for me in any part of the surname, front back or middle.
                  Are you ticking the box which says that you are using a wildcard name?
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Are you ticking the box which says that you are using a wildcard name?
                    Ahhh I see, I read the Wildcard use before and there wasn't any mention of picking the option or if there was I missed it - its on the advanced search option. Its all becoming clear now, the mist is lifting I've had a hard day at work 13 hours to be precise!

Thank you.

Comment

You used to have to click a link to download the image to your computer - presumably they have changed that so the image will display in your bro'wser now. It wasn't because of a problem with some counties or images as they stated the reason was to reduce pressure on the server.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

On the Beta test you had both options ( well I did), I chose to download rather than view. I did do both at first I'm sure I did maybe I'm wrong.
                        Last edited by Guest; 20-01-09, 20:36.

Comment

Until now I never had the option to view on site but always had to download. In fact it stated either on the main site or on the blog that they had set it up to download only for the initial period to allow access to the maximum number of people. I am on firefox.

Glad to see they are looking at error reports quickly. They have just agreed the change to Jessie from Jennie for one of mine which I only submitted a couple of days ago.
                          Gillian
                          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

1911census.co.uk blog

New features, about wild cards and seeing the image on the site.
                            Joy

Comment

Thanks for the info. I just wish I could remember who I wanted to have a wildcard search for. I've been through my tree when the . in the surname occurred but I still can't work it out.
                              Kit

Comment

Well I found two elusive families because of the wildcard search being enabled. So thats good and put in a transcription error report when I found them.

There is still one evading capture though.

Comment

Hi
                                  I have just found a bit of a blip when using the "Other members of the household" boxes. I'll give you an example to try and explain what I mean.
                                  You are looking for Cyril Charles Bullock and there is only one hit and he is living in the Willesden district. So you put the dot in the surname box and Cyril Charles Bullock in the "other members of the household boxes" and don't bother to put in Willesden because there is only one C C B. Your search brings up 221 records, not just in Willesden but from all over the country. I picked one at random a Rose Allom and did the same search with the dot and her name in the other members boxes. She was in an institution and amongst the other "inmates" were 1 person with the surname Bullock, 1 with the forename Cyril and 1 with the forename Charles.
                                  Moggie

Comment

Yes, it's best if you put in the place name when you do that kind of search.
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                    X