Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with 1911 census

Hi folks I need more help please.
    Relative born 2nd Sept 1910 died age 7 months i.e. have a date of 26 Apr 1911. (This date from Burial information Lincoln Archives.)
    Cant find him or his family on the census. Have sent for death cert to see
    what info it gives.

Child born William Henry. Fathers name Henry Willis-Martin Mother Violet Willis-Martin formerly Broughton Birth Registered at 112 Canon Street Lincoln.

I have looked Wm Henry Willis, Wm Henry Martin, and also Willis-Martin
    nothing showing up.

Earlier family came from Boston, think might have settled Lincoln after 1907. due to marriage etc. My father was born in Lincoln in 1917.

Any ideas please. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by glendahewitt; 19-01-09, 14:54.

Do you have a year and place of birth for Violet?
    Elaine

Comment

help with 1911

No not as yet.

She married Henry Willis Martin 1 July 1907. The willis martin is my side of the family and these are the ones I am trying to trace.

Henry Willis's dad should be around in 1911 too. He was born George Henry Martin in 1963, married in 1884 and on 1891 and 1901 census he was recorded as Harry Willis. His wife Harriett died in 1908.
      Only other definite relative I can find is Harriett aged 11 in an institution in Boston.

The older Harry I believe died in 1918 aged approx 52. So should be on census.

What a strange family I have. Name changes dont help

Thanks

Glenda

You have helped me before and directed me to follow the willis line which seems to be the correct line.

Comment

Originally posted by glendahewitt View Post

You have helped me before and directed me to follow the willis line which seems to be the correct line.
        It's coming back to me now! :(

:D:D
        Elaine

Comment

How much later than 1917 do you think the family may still connect to Lincoln?

There isn't anything obvious in the Willis surname but the 1930's residential directory has the following Martin surname entries;

Henry Martin, Lincoln

Hy Herbert Martin in Sleaford

John Henry Martin in Stamford

W Martin, Lincoln

Walt. Martin, Lincoln

Wm H Martin, Lincoln.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Had a quick look Glenda using different search criteria but can't see anything at the moment. Will have another try later.
            Elaine

Comment

I'm wondering if there's a problem with double-barrelled names in 1911?

I have some people on my tree who changed their name by deed poll to double-barrelled. I can't find any of these couples on the census (under one name or the other or both, with or without a hyphen).

Comment

I found my Hal Fleming-Budd as Hal Fleming BUDD

i.e. the surname was Budd and the counted Fleming as a middle name
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I believe from previous investigation that a John Willis from ely st marys married a diana reed in 1930. This appeared on the IGI as John Martin. John and Diana had children who were registered as John and Susanna WILLIS-MARTIN with father showing also as WILLIS MARTIN. Previously on this forum have led me to follow the WILLIS Line. The childrens surname sometimes willis some are martin and further back John Willis father is Robert Willis and his father WILLOWS. As I said all very confusing.

The more recent relatives are on 1891 and 1901 census as WILLIS. I had previously wondered if there was any unlawful reason as to why the name changed. Another person with a different tree on Ancestry told me that they saw that I was also researching WILLIS MARTIN and they like me wondered why one man used 2 different surnames.

Comment

Glenda - just so people don´t get confused I think it should be 1830 in the first line of your last post, not 1930!
                    Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine

You are quite correct. Sorry. I do get confused.

Comment

I´m not surprised Glenda with this lot!
                        Have had another look at the 1911 but still cannot see anything.
                        Elaine

Comment

thanks for all your help.
                          the people on here are very patient and helpful.
                          I will just keep plodding on and follow what leads turn up.

Comment

Violet's name on the marriage index (1907) is Violet Green Broughton. (Lovely name!) but I can't see a birth in that name. Wouldn't you know it! She could possibly be the Violet Broughton born 1887 Boston? But there are loads of Violet Broughtons to choose from.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I had wondered if she was born Violet Green rather than Violet Broughton, but that's no help obviously! lol (would you call your child Violet Green though?)

I have tried for several more double-barrelled family, but can only find the ones who are listed under their last surname, like samesizedfeet's Budd relative.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                Violet's name on the marriage index (1907) is Violet Green Broughton. (Lovely name!) but I can't see a birth in that name. Wouldn't you know it! She could possibly be the Violet Broughton born 1887 Boston? But there are loads of Violet Broughtons to choose from.
                                I think she is on the 1901 census as Violet Broughton born c1888 Boston with parents William and Ellen. I tried to trace the marriage back for the parents and father was probably William Green Broughton, mother was Ellen Hall.
                                Her birth was registered as Violet Broughton 1887 2nd quarter Boston.

I then used Violet (with a full stop for the surname!) b1887 +/- 2 years born Boston on the 1911 census - but nothing obvious showed.
                                Elaine

Comment

Yes

more info received last night. She was Violet Green Broughton and someone gave me her birth ref which is the same as yours.
                                  1888 and Boston would also seem to be correct. Thanks for the extra info
                                  I now have something on her parents.

I believe that unless you are in the house on census night you will not be counted. That is why I am puzzled. Violet and Henry/Harry had an infant.
                                  I understood the census took place on 2nd April and info as I have it the baby died on 26 April. I thought he might have been in a hospital or something and therefore would have shown up as "institution"?
                                  I tried searching all counties and didn't get a suitable child.

What a family. What with name changes and missing persons. I dont know.

Comment

Glenda remember the whole census hasn't been released so they may be in a count not yet available. Don't give up yet.
                                    Kit

Comment

Just found this entry on FHO. Her birth was registered in the Dec qtr 1910 Lincoln. Don't know if she is part of your family as she is obviously not your William's sister.
                                      Moggie

Gladys Willis Martin Abode Lincoln,Waterside North, Buried 24/08/1911
                                      Age 10m Cemetery Lincoln, Canwick Rd St Swithins Plot R433

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                        Just found this entry on FHO. Her birth was registered in the Dec qtr 1910 Lincoln. Don't know if she is part of your family as she is obviously not your William's sister.
                                        Moggie

Gladys Willis Martin Abode Lincoln,Waterside North, Buried 24/08/1911
                                        Age 10m Cemetery Lincoln, Canwick Rd St Swithins Plot R433
                                        Ever get the feeling you have have been somewhere before Moggie?:D There is a certain cemetery and a certain street that you might recognise the names of coming up here!!!!

Waterside North is a road that runs basically parallel to Monks Road and is maybe 150 yards from the aforementioned Monks Road.

The 1930's names show that a Henry Martin lived at 72 Monks Road. There are no Willis or Willis-Martin entries i can find listed within the coverage of the directory, either in Lincoln or further afield but it's easy to miss them in the lists.
                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                        X