No announcement yet.

help with 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly Glen, an element of deja vu creeping in here.

Hi Glenda
    On the birth certificate is the address where William was born the same as the address of the informant/mother/father? I'm thinking along the lines of hospital/maternity home. Although his birth was reg in Lincoln R D his death if he is W H W Martin was reg in Boston R D.
    Moggie

Comment

help with 1911 census

Thanks to Maudarby.

The name certainly looks interesting given that it is WILLIS MARTIN.
      I will check it out.

Did Kitkat mean lincolnshire was incomplete or the rest of the census counties.

Comment

help with 1911 census

Birth cert

when and where born
        2 Sept 1910
        112 Cannon Street Lincoln

Residence of informant V. Willis-Martin (Mother)
        112 Canon Street. Lincoln

The info I have was from Burial Records Lincolnshire Archives.
        I am awaiting the death cert now to check if he is mine (died @ 7 months.)

Comment

Just noticed the wild card search is up and running on 1911 census site. Hope you have some luck in finding them now.
          Moggie

Comment

Wild card search doesn't seem to be working for me. Can you use it on all fields.
            Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
              I think you have to click the advanced search button at the bottom and then the options are visable.
              Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie!
                Elaine

Comment

Have had another think. Gladys WILLIS MARTIN must be one of mine. Too much of a coincidence. Have 2 families in and around lincoln at this time. My Dads and his brother. So Gladys could possibly be a sister (who we didnt know about) or a cousin.
                  Will send for birth cert to check.
                  Trying to locate the William Henry Martin who was the informant on my dads bro death cert in 1959. He signed as W H Martin Son. 68 Elizabeth Road. Boston.
                  Is there a street directory on line or electoral roll for this period. Would I have to go to the archives in Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                    Gladys Willis Martin Abode Lincoln,Waterside North, Buried 24/08/1911
                    Age 10m Cemetery Lincoln, Canwick Rd St Swithins Plot R433
                    This lot are really annoying me!
                    I've done a search for a Gladys in Lincolnshire born 1910 +/- 1 year but can't see anything which fits with Martin or Willis.
                    Elaine

Comment

Now you know how i feel.
                      Gladys Willis Martin is on birth lists 7A 466 Oct Nov Dec 1910 Lincoln

Death ref 7A 590 or 690 Jul Aug Sep 1911 Lincoln.
                      so should be on the census. I would think. However doesn't seem to want to be found.

If you experts cant find the family. What chance have I? Maybe lincolnshire is not fully complete. My grandad got married in 1910 in lincoln. 112 cannon street. Seems to feature quite a bit in our family records.
                      Last edited by glendahewitt; 20-01-09, 20:38.

Comment

112 Cannon St does appear in 1911 (twice! - so I presume there were two families living there)

Comment

If you fancy spending 10 credits you could get a transcription for the household at 112 Cannon Street.
                          Elaine

Comment

Erm, 20 for both!

Comment

Merry, where are you finding two entries for no. 112
                              I can only see one.
                              Elaine

Comment

It's the first time I've done an address search so I may have done it wrong!

I put Cannon in the street name and Lincoln in the residential place plus clicked the county. Got about 135 results - clicked towards the last page and saw 112 Cannon St and also 112 Cannon Street. I assumed the householders had written the word St(reet) differently, but maybe the addresses are indexed twice to save people not getting a result if they put in the wrong form for words like Road and Street etc etc??

Comment

I read something about this a couple of days ago.
                                  The addresses are taken from whatever the householder wrote on the bottom of the form so they were making arrangements so that a search for Street or St would bring up the correct entry.
                                  I presume therefore they are being indexed twice, under each version - but don´t quote me on this!
                                  Elaine

Comment

lol!

*tells everyone Elaine said so*

Comment

I've noticed quite a lot of names being indexed twice, where one entry has a slightly odd spelling.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                        *tells everyone Elaine said so*
                                        1911census.co.uk blog » Blog Archive » Tips for finding your ancestors via address search

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by glendahewitt View Post
                                          Is there a street directory on line or electoral roll for this period. Would I have to go to the archives in Lincoln.
                                          Nothing online that i'm aware of, Lincoln Central Library certainly have the Lincoln electoral rolls and offer a search service, i'm not sure if they hold the Boston electoral records or not but they could have a Lincolnshire directory. It might be worth getting in touch with the Lincoln and Boston libraries and enquiring (you can send them an e-mail to enquire). They will be a lot cheaper than the archives that is for sure.

If you need anything in terms of an electoral roll lookup (best to supply the actual address whenever possible), directory lookup or a search/copy of a newspaper article then go for the library first everytime. I have used them a few times in the past and as long as you don't ask for the earth the archivist usually finds something extra to your request that caught her eye.

Search for and find the contact details for Limcolnshire libraries from the following link

Find Your Local Library and Its Opening Hours | Lincolnshire County Council
                                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                          X