Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incorrect recording of surname of father??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect recording of surname of father??

I have an "Emily Patterson/Pattison" in my tree, at this point I have not purchased her birth cert but think I have found it. (reg 1873 Sept Caistor Lincolnshire 7a 641) I have found her in the 1881 census as child that was noted as a "Nurse Child" living with a family called "Ramsbottom" including a George Ramsbottom age 38 in Kington-Upon-Hull, then I found her again on the 1891 Census but as an "adopted daughter" still in Kingston-Upon-Hull with whom possibly appears to be Georges mother Maria 81yo. I have Emilys Marriage Cert (married 6/11/1892 to Edward Henry Netherclift) and the certificate states that her fathers name is George Patterson. One of the witness' on the cert. is a James William Roger Ramsbottom. My question is, is it possible that when Emily married she stated her (adopted) fathers name as George and it was assumed he was a Patterson there for being recorded as "father George Pattison deceased- Fisherman"? I haven't been able to find anything on a George Patterson at all and this was the only possibilty that I could think of.
    [COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="darkorchid"]Thanks

Mystic.........

Yes, it seems quite common for the father's name on a marriage certificate to consist of the stepfather or biological father's first name and the surname of the child. If the two surnames were different then many people would be unlikely to insist on the correct name being filled in as it would draw attention to their being illegitimate.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for that KiteRunner, I think I might order her birth and death cert to confirm my thoughts and maybe confirm her birth parents names; obviously something happened to them when she was very young, leaving her a "Nurse Child" at such a young age.

Mystic.........

Comment

The death cert won't give her parents names. It will the name of the informant of the death. It may say "wife of whoever".

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic View Post
          Thanks for that KiteRunner, I think I might order her birth and death cert to confirm my thoughts and maybe confirm her birth parents names; obviously something happened to them when she was very young, leaving her a "Nurse Child" at such a young age.
          It might not be different but there are times the GRO transcription of the cert differs from the original register.

You can order a scanned copy of the original register from Lincoln registration services, they have an online order facility and accept credit card payments, i use them pretty regularly and the service is really good.

Certificates | Lincolnshire County Council
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Glen for your comments, I might look into the scanned copy of the register as well after I have her birth cert.

Mystic.........

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Glen for your comments, I might look into the scanned copy of the register as well after I have her birth cert.
              I think that's probably a birth cert made by scanning the Lincs copy of the register? Glen might confirm, please?

The GRO copy will be one transcription further away. I'd go for the Lincs one, if I were you.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

This is alittle new to me, as I haven't actually purchased anything other than certificates from the GRO. I have had a look at the web site and will look into ordering the scanned copy........This could open a whole new "financial hole" for me to dig. LOL

Mystic.........

Comment

Hi Christine,

This is alittle new to me, as I haven't actually purchased anything other than certificates from the GRO. I have had a look at the web site and will look into ordering the scanned copy........This could open a whole new "financial hole" for me to dig. LOL
                  As an alternative to GRO, it's always worth considering (wary of local supplements!) the websites for which you can find links here: UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line

There are lots of Local ones...
                  There are two sets of Birth, Marriage and Death indexes in the UK; the original indexes held by the local register offices and a secondary index created by the General Register Office. The menu buttons on the left provide sets of links to web sites that contain both primary and secondary indexes. As always, you are recommended to look through the primary sources first, before looking through secondary records.
                  Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for your help Christine!

Mystic.........

Comment

Generally speaking, if you have the relevant reference (and GRO refs aren't the same as local refs) you shouldn't have to pay more than £7 for a cert.

GRO refs don't apply when you request a cert from a Local R.O.... They wouldn't - they aren't devised until after the record has reached the Local RO, and GRO has to combine all the results from all the ROs. On the other hand, it can be helpful to be able to mention the quarter-info from GRO, to narrow the time-frame - Local RO info is often by-year - or even several years together.

Many (but not all) of the Local RO BMD sites give you quite detailed info on their indexes. In some cases, they include mother's maiden name, well before 1911, and age at death before 1866; in some they don't include that info even after the dates when it's included in the GRO index.

In some cases they specify where a marriage ceremony took place, so that you could apply to a local Records Office (as distinct from Register Office) for a copy of the Register page. That used to mean it would be cheaper than a cert, because you were just paying for a photocopy. Unfortunately, GRO has set up an edict that, if you request an archivist to supply a copy of a Marriage Register page, they are required to certify it and charge not less than £7. So it's no cheaper that way than from a Register Office... but it does mean you get a copy of the original record (all being well) which would include the actual handwritten signatures of the people involved.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X