can i ask a question i was sent some info on my holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i ask a question i was sent some info on my holders

on burials.along side the names it says year they died what they died of but on some it says DECLINE why?does any-one know?brenda xxx

Isn't that just old age Bren?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

no because one was 21,44, i hope thats not old age or im anciant lol brenda xxx

Comment

Bren

It really just meant "they went downhill and died". It could have been anything - the doctor certainly didn't know what it was!

In someone young, it might have been something like leukaemia, which wasn't a recognised condition back then, but I'm just guessing.

OC

Comment

This is from a 1913 dictionary

Decline - "A gradual sinking and wasting away of the physical faculties; any wasting disease, esp. pulmonary consumption; as, to die of a decline."
          Jackie

Comment

'Decline' as a cause of death on a certificate used to be quite common in the 19C. Basically it meant that the person just faded away and they didn't really know why. It doesn't only apply to old people.

I suspect in many cases it would be TB - that was a common cause of death in people who were not old.

Anne

Comment

I think Decline basicaly means that the person lost energy, like OC said, they went downhill.

I also don't think that a doctor would have been called out. When did the burials happen? I know on some of mine in the 1700's, it just says Decline. I think the relatives and/or vicar made a guess when it came to entering the cause of death, and if the cause was not obvious, ie fever, they would simply put decline.
              Families Intrested in
              Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

burials were 1792,1791,1804 brenda xxxx

Comment

Working...
                X