No announcement yet.

Finally ordered my gg grandparent's marraige cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are called William and Fanny in 1891! It is the right people though as he is b Pimlico and she is b Newfoundland and the kids are the same!

RG12; Piece: 4399; Folio 118; Page 22

Comment

Born in 1855 would match his age on the 1901 census.
      and the 1891 census which has him aged 35.

Comment

gg grandparents

Yup that ses like them Merry! Don'r knwo why they got his age wrong though do they do that much?

Comment

People quite often manipulated their age when getting married. Usually to appear over 21 if they were under, or to make the age gap less if there was a large gap between the bride and groom. Or a plain old mistake might have been made! Without being there to see what they were asked etc, it's hard to say. The only thing I might comment on is that this was a register office wedding and registrars were generally better at paperwork than some vicars so you might have expected they would have at least been asked the questions in a clear manner!

Comment

Originally posted by BendyCowgirl View Post
            Grandad John was born in Chelsea but I guess I could try checking his naval record?
            I'm not sure if you realise you can download the naval record from The National Archives? (assuming it's the right one!). The cost is £3.50

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              I'm not sure if you realise you can download the naval record from The National Archives? (assuming it's the right one!). The cost is £3.50

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

no I didn't realise that. I'm kind of stuck now though...where to go from here...naval records definately best? How the heck do I find out his parents names? Well...parents details as I have the one name. I think perhaps I establish his actual place and year of birth firstoherwise I could be tracing someone else's naval record.
              Last edited by BendyCowgirl; 16-01-09, 17:52.

Comment

I can't find him in 1861/71 (haven't tried very hard with 1881 as I'm thinking he was at sea!). I've been concentrating on the forename John though and in 1891 he was William! I have also lost count of the number of times people got their father's first name wrong on their marriage cert! I realise this isn't helping! Maybe his father was John rather than William.......I'll keep looking!

Unless you get the naval record you will never know what is on it and it might be very interesting even if it doesn't help you progress straight away.

Comment

I just spoke to my uncle and he seems to think John's dad's name was indeed William. Also that John went by the name William rather than John. He remembers him as William (my uncle's pretty old and William lived until 1941 so that's how he remembers him!) Don't know if that helps at all.

Comment

It makes me want to go and eat my dinner...............:( :D

Comment

OK go get dinner lol. Thanks for all your help on this much appreciated. I will get a naval record at some point I think but as I say I think I probably need to find out exactly when and where he was born first.

Comment

OK I think I found them on the 1891 census..they are in Cardiff by then, nothing before though:

copy and paste from ancestry removed - please read our copyright guidelines
                        Last edited by KiteRunner; 17-01-09, 18:16.

Comment

I found this. It seems to be them. Can't find them before this though.

Last edited by KiteRunner; 17-01-09, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by BendyCowgirl View Post
                            OK I think I found them on the 1891 census..they are in Cardiff by then, nothing before though:

Were they the people I posted in #21?

Comment

Yes, sorry, thought I'd found something new there. Oh yes...but yes that's them, so I'm still stuck lol. As I say John often went by the name William. Lavinia's grandmother I think was Francesca from something my uncle said to me a while back I just remembered and that's who she was named after...shortened it to Fanny.
                              Last edited by BendyCowgirl; 17-01-09, 23:13.

Comment

Working...
                              X