Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ireland interest only. How far back have you managed to get in Irish Research?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not necessarily - a lot of us are descended from people who emigrated during the great famine because they were starving.

Comment

Mary

Oh yes that is very true.

But there were many counties where the famine did not impinge too much, places like Wexford County and where my OH's ancestors were tenant farmers for many years. There were many thousands of tenant farmers in Ireland who stayed in Ireland and bought the farms they were tenants of, from the landowners. My OH ancestors bought their farm in the 1920's, having been tenants since the mid 1700's and we have managed to find tenancy and landowners records back to the mid 1700's which have been very enlightening.

Also like research in the UK, finding the landowners can lead you on to other records. My own ancestors were bakers, ag labs and blacksmiths in Tipperary, all well educated by the Christian Brothers and Presentation Nuns from around 1830ish. They all worked on the land belonging to the Matthews and the Langleys around Thurles and this has helped me to find more history. Reading the newspapers of the times for Tipperary has given me a good idea as to how well educated many of the the Irish were. You only have to read the letters from the ordinary person to realise this.

The pockets of real poverty and deprivation were Counties Clare/Mayo/Donegal and much of Kerry.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 11-01-09, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
        Mc Bev

If you ever try Tipperary for Ryan there are many families of Ryan around Thurles in Tipperary but of course Ryan is a difficult name to research with so many of them. Also the Cashel and Emly Diocesan records are now open to the public so that means all of Tipperary and parts of Limerick are now accessible as from June 2008. So those going to Dublin in the near future can research their Tipperary ancestors through Dublin National Library. Gleeson is also a vry popular name in Tipperary. I have both Ryan and Gleeson in my tree from Tipperary.
        There are a fair number of parish records and old census for Cork online. Have you tried these as I am sure Shandon is there amongst these records?

So far it looks as though most people cannot go back before 1800 which is what I suspected.

There must be people out there who had landowner ancestors who can go further back?

Janet
        Thank you for your suggestions, Janet. My real problem is that the Irish Ryans and Aherns who form part of my tree did not leave enough of a trace when they came to Australia to let me get started. My Gleesons at least had good information on their marriage and death certs here in Australia to allow me to find them in Ireland.

I don't even have a consistent age for my Ryan grandmother....let alone knowing which of the two forenames she used was the correct one.... Until I can find a living descendant of one of her siblings who knows more than I do, I am stymied :o

My Ahern married in India and said nothing about his parentage or age...and his death cert tells me less :(

Beverley

Comment

I have more or less the same problem - I know which county my Denis Kelly came from, but nothing else at all, not even a definite age, or whether his parents and siblings stayed in Ireland or emigrated too.

Comment

absolutely nowhere!!!

5 lines on each census all say born Ireland which gives me no clue where to start. Can't even find a marriage for most recent who had child in 1901 - hoping 1911 census when it does lancashire gives a few more details.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I have just discovered my Ex's tree has Irish in it so now looking for Ryans yes Bev and Farrells ,,the Ryans are suppose to be from Tipperary but couldnt find out in IGI or on the Ryans ;;
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I have a long line of James Rileys in the family. Tradition said they came over in the potato famine and were based variously in Waterford or Cork.

The only problem is that the earliest James Riley died in Portsmouth in 1843. He is on the 1841 census with Y for born in county. And he was apprenticed in Portsmouth in 1808.

All sources for his age conflict, all witnesses on various documents relate to his wife's family, not his.

So it's the one branch I doubt I shall ever progress, unless I could actually find some apprenticeship papers that gave father's name..... (and what's the betting that that would be James?)
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Absolutely nowhere.

Paternal grandparents were Irish. I know they lived and died in Leitrim, but don't know if they were born there.

I don't know when they were born; their ages at their deaths were guessed at by their children.

My only clue is that grandfather Irish was a career soldier until his 40's, but I have no idea in what regiment.

*sigh*

Comment

i've had no luck with the igi. my ancestors came from sixmilebridge, clare. it's a lovely little village.

catherine dwyer came to vic with her young family around 1853. all i know of her kids is what is said on her death cert. half of them were dead before her, and i can't find deaths in vic.
                    her husband was michael dwyer, i can't tell if he ever left ireland.
                    her parents are listed on her death cert, but there is no parish records before 1820 for sixmilebridge. her father is listed as an innkeeper. she does appear on griffith's though.

what's worse is, i can't get records unless i shell out $300, to the clare heritage society. and even then i'll most likely only get about 3 baptisms.:(:(

some other ancestors married here in vic, but i havn't found it. he was from antrim and she was from cork. that info is from their child's birth cert.
                    her surname changes a lot too. on the birth cert it's mack. on her daughter's marriage it's mclion. on her daughter's death it's mcaulliffe.

i dont like not being able to research my irish lines, but it's the same with my germans. the records either don't exist, or they are unavailable.:(:(

Comment

I think that it is all a bit sad that so few people are finding help for their Irish Research. Unlike the UK there are no Irish Family History Societies to join that will give you access to CD's for Parish Registers etc. In the early 1990's there were a few, and we joined two, but they disappeared in the stampede to make money out of Family History.

I have only just recently joined Findmypast and as they asked me my views on what I woiuld like to see on their records I have suggested some Irish records to include Parish Records so maybe one day........:D

I realise that with the 1911 Census now online that people will forget about Irish Research!

However, some of you may find that the 1911 Census might give you that extra bonus in the name of a County/Town or even Townland in Ireland, so I wish you all luck on that one, because that would really help those who only just have Ireland on previous census.

Janet

Comment

Yes, 1911 will be my last hope - WHEN Northumberland is finally added.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have found my great grandfather on the 1911 census Lancashire. It shows that he was born in Ballyhagen Co Kildare. On the previous ones it just said Ireland
                          PAT

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Hope View Post
                            I have found my great grandfather on the 1911 census Lancashire. It shows that he was born in Ballyhagen Co Kildare. On the previous ones it just said Ireland
                            Lucky you Pat, I was hoping for the same answer, I was excited when I saw the entry for mine, it said......Newry Meath Newry is in Co.Down, there is nothing that looks like Newry in Co. Meath..............Doh!! Back to the drawing board then....:D
                            ;) Helen x

Comment

I got a result for one of my 5 irish lines.

She says she was born c1858 Co Fermanagh - but I can find no-one with her "Norman" maiden name in Fermanagh - but as she couldn't even get her only child's place of birth right and her granddaughter reckoned she said she came from Dungannon am no further forward.
                              Last edited by JBee; 13-01-09, 20:23.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I'm hoping that when Cumberland goes live I might get more info on where one of OH's ancestors was born.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've been able to go back to c.1820 with the new online IFHF databases,,around 75% of parish records have been added.. the counties in green have been completed... It's not a cheap exercise (last time I used it it was 5 euro per 'guess'..which is better than the 10euro charge when they first came online)
                                  The biggest drawback is the search engine options leave a lot to be desired.. (its not too difficult to find the correct marriage if you know and can search both names first and see if there is a mtaching year)

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

Comment

Nowhere is the simple answer. I'm looking for a Gt Grandmother. I have my grandfather's birth certificate as he was born in Bishop's Court Naas. However his birth was registereed by a medical practioner not his father so although i was really excited to get her name despite lots more searching I couldn't find her birth, marriage or death. Then came another chink of light - 1901 census Dublin and she is down with her husband and son but a different first name however I now have a place of birth Co Donegal religion C of E and age 30. So at least now I know that some of the family story that she was irish was true!

Only yesterday I received some info from a very distant relative (the info was retrieved from a box of papers from another distant relation!) which gives her yet another different first name and a different spelling of her maiden name!

Co Donegal is one of the counties that is not on line yet on the link posted hopefully will be soon. I have found a person on IGI whose name from the census fits with the date of birth from the right county but without certificates or any other firm evidence I'm stuck. The papers from the box say she died 1908 and the family story had it that she did die when my grandfather was young (my gt grandfather remarried in 1911 and has widower the cert) but I can't even find her death!

I will perservere (sp) though as I really want to discover if we have any other cousins from her side of the family.
                                    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Bo...have you looked at this site? There are some (free) census transcriptions, including some 1911.

Online Census Records For County Donegal

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                                        Bo...have you looked at this site? There are some (free) census transcriptions, including some 1911.

Online Census Records For County Donegal
                                        Thanks Bev - looks like a good site but I haven't a scooby where in Co Donegal she came from so I might be a while! :D
                                        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

I'll write a story one day about my cyber / letter writing journey, getting not far back, but what a journey it has been, and still is, too.

Just one thing for now - in 1881 great-granny's birth was Ireland, as it was on the 1891 census; 1901: Dublin, now 1911: Fermanagh
                                          Joy

Comment

Working...
                                          X