No announcement yet.

lack of marriages in this family??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Allan, I can't se another candidate for 2nd groom in the Mary Beatrice marriage. If you decide to buy that cert, I would just name Mary and leave groom's name blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb N View Post
      This could be Thomas's marriage - In the 1901 census he is Thomas Walter Oakes in 1901 census...

Marriages Dec 1903

FURBER Martha Ellen W.Derby 8b 642
      Jones Mary W. Derby 8b 642
      Oakes Thomas Walter W. Derby 8b 642
      STONE Thomas Pendle W. Derby 8b 642

I haven't been able to work out what one he wed though as no children show up after 1911 with the name Oakes mmn Jones or Furber....Just had a thought - I will check the other groom and see if I can find out who he wed!!

Added - No luck with the other groom either...
      That marriage is on Lancashire BMD - Thomas W Oakes married Martha E Furber at Wavertree, St Michael.

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
      Allan, Are you sure that Mary & Beatrice aren't the same persom?

There was a Mary Beatrice Oakes married either George Henry Key or...(I will have to have a search for other groom as he is missing off the index at present).....Mar qtr 1908.....8b 416

Also a Mary Oakes m Otto Jepson, Sep Qtr 1919, 8b 1465

Can't find Beatrice.
      The 1908 marriage is also on Lancashire BMD - Mary B Oakes married George H Key at Fairfield, St John the Divine.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ok, and checking the Birth, it appears that Mary Beatrice Oakes was born West Derby in Sep Qtr 1880....so she is the wrong one.

Comment

ooh...thanks very much Kiterunner....HOW did I miss that??...going back to check on lancsbmd...St Michaels is our church so I`m sure that this is my Thomas....Furber ?...thats a nice easy name to research...be back soon...thanks again...allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

WOW...just found 35 births registered for FURBER in West Derby...but can`t find Marth E Furber??....how come ??...allan
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

SO I think I`ve solved the PUZZLE of Thomas Oakes b 1874 in my tree...I would really appreciate it if someone would double check this for me..all on freebmd and lancashire bmd
              I can`t find Thomas Oakes b 1874 in Garston
              Daniel Oakes 1st wife Ann Evason died in 1873
              Daniel marries Marianne Merrick in 1874 in Garston
              THOMAS WALTER MERRICK is born in 1874(before they are married ??) in Garston
              1881 census has Thomas Oakes in 10 banks rd,Garston with Daniel and Marianne,not Thomas Merrick
              Thomas Walter Oakes marries Martha E Furber in Garston 1903
              am i being romantic or is Thomas Walter Merrick / Thomas Oakes the same person???..be nice to find Martha E Furbers birth.....allan;)

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                WOW...just found 35 births registered for FURBER in West Derby...but can`t find Marth E Furber??....how come ??...allan
                Could be a second (or more!) marriage for her.

Comment

Actually there's an Ellen Furber (single) in 1901 in Garston b abt 1876 in Shropshire. On an earlier census she was called Martha E Furber.

Comment

This is probably her:

Births Mar 1876
                    FURBER Martha Helen Wem 6a 799

Comment

Hiya
                      William Oakes married Sophia Sacht Sept quarter 1899
                      District Toxteth Park vol 8b page 481

Looking more for you.
                      My late mum was a Liverpool lass. So glad to help out & i don't need a kitchen thanks.
                      tugman

Comment

Hi again
                        1881 census
                        Thomas Walter Oakes b.1874 Garston
                        son of Daniel Oakes born 1849/50 Neston Cheshire blacksmith
                        mother is Mary Ann born 1852/53 Hereford
                        Thomas has a sister & 2 bros
                        10 Banks Rd Garston
                        So this seems to be the Thomas Walter
                        confirm this the only Thomas Walter Oakes in 1881 census

Daniel Oakes b.Sep Quarter 1849 district Wirral [this includes Neston]
                        tugman

Comment

thanks Merry (again lol)...I think thats that little problem solved...Martha Ellen/ Helen Furber...
                          Tugman...thanks..I go back to 1754 with the Oakes`s and Daniel to my knowledge was the first Oakes in Garston in 1870...he married Ann Evason from Kidderminster in 1871..they are on the 1871 census in Argyle rd,Garston...Ann died in 1873 and Daniel then remarried Marianne Merrick from Ocle Pychard(herefords) in 1874...but it seems that Marianne had Thomas Walter Merrick in 1874 then in the 1881 census he is down as Thomas Oakes...all very confusing...if you look at my other thread regarding Henry Oakes,maybe Henry was here first and Daniel followed him...to my knowledge the ONLY Oakes family in Garston are all miy family....maybe Henry is no relation....regards...allan

Comment

Hiya

Marianne
                            Mary Ann = Marianne wrote down as spoken at time of census.
                            My Holletts in Liverpool were Hollott then changed to Hollett.
                            Thomas Walter Merrick again census chap just put Thomas Oakes.
                            That's that sorted you are correct only Oakes in Garston.
                            Will look at Henry for you.
                            You don't happened to have a Sidney Oakes b.abt 1928 married my aunt Harriet Mary Hollett abt 1946/50 of Liverpool.
                            Tugman

Comment

sorry Tugman...not that I can remember...I`ll have a good root through my tree tomorrow....cheers...allan

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                SO I think I`ve solved the PUZZLE of Thomas Oakes b 1874 in my tree...I would really appreciate it if someone would double check this for me..all on freebmd and lancashire bmd
                                I can`t find Thomas Oakes b 1874 in Garston
                                Daniel Oakes 1st wife Ann Evason died in 1873
                                Daniel marries Marianne Merrick in 1874 in Garston
                                THOMAS WALTER MERRICK is born in 1874(before they are married ??) in Garston
                                1881 census has Thomas Oakes in 10 banks rd,Garston with Daniel and Marianne,not Thomas Merrick
                                Thomas Walter Oakes marries Martha E Furber in Garston 1903
                                am i being romantic or is Thomas Walter Merrick / Thomas Oakes the same person???..be nice to find Martha E Furbers birth.....allan;)
                                Hi Allan, That all looks good to me. It is very possible that Thomas was born before the marriage and registered in his mother's name. Then was known as Oakes after the marriage......this is so with many of my ancestors. To me that cert is well worth buying.

Were those other marriages I found of any use? And do you have birth refences for the other children....I never realised that you were still looking for any of them.

Comment

Hiya Lyn..I don`t think they are my family..the Harriet very unlikely ,they married in Wigan/Leigh.pretty sure it would have been St Michaels Garston
                                  Sarah A married in the registry office, but it was during the war so that is a possibility...no A in my Sarah though....thanks....allan.

Comment

What about the ones for James & Mary?
                                    I thought that you were only looking in West Derby...sorry.

Comment

FreeBMD has a Harriet Oakes marrying William Grimshaw in Leigh, but once aagin it is 1921

Comment

thanks again Lyn...if I see West Derby Wavertree St Michaels I`m pretty sure that it would be my family..thats our church...the problem is that the West Derby Registry office is 7 miles from Garston,so I don`t think they would go there...obviously during the 1st w.war they may have had to use the registry office...but I wouldn`t have thought so in 1912...I really appreciate your help...cheers..allan;)..btw what or where is Aotearoa ?
                                        Last edited by garstonite; 12-01-09, 23:57.

Comment

:D :D Aotearoa....The Land of the Long White Cloud....is in fact, New Zealand!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X