No announcement yet.

1911 census info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes those records would be fantastic to have online.

Comment

Apologies if anyone has already noticed this, BUT....................

I've gone back in the Beta test site that I had access on at Xmas, and you can still run searches ! Which is better than nothing.

Sure it's just for those Counties that were already searchable, but still quite interesting, especially if you have people with 'standout' names.

Comment

That's a miracle because they've shut that link down. You get runtime error on it.

The link is on find my past now Welcome to the official 1911 Census website

Comment

Strange - how on earth did you manage that, Simon? I'm getting the runtime error on the old site too.

Comment

I can be patient - I know where my direct ancestors are in 1911. 3 lots of my great grandparents are here in Barrow, the 4th lot are in Sheffield.
            Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Yes, me too (and half of them were in Australia). But there are lots of people in side branches I'd be interested to find.

Comment

Well I am very impatient to see my Norfolk gt grandfather! Only last summer I went to his grave. He was in the village in 1911 with his daughter Violet, but came down to London some time before he died in 1917.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hopefully while they have been offline they have been madly scanning/digitising and transcribing the rest of the records. (Its okay I know I live in a dreamworld)

They surely made enough money to cover the rest of the project from the beta test!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    Strange - how on earth did you manage that, Simon? I'm getting the runtime error on the old site too.
                    Maybe it was a glitch, but I ran three checks through Hampshire and they worked. Three different surnames.

I only have 100 credits left, so didn't try to actually View the transcripts or the actual form.

But purely as a search process, I thought it worthwhile to advise.

Has anyone else tried and had access as I have ?

Comment

I thought I would go onto findmypast today and beat the rush to buy some credits ready for tomorrow, but it said it was down for essential maintenance. I suppose that means they're gearing up for the 1911 going live?
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I went on FMP last night, and had awful trouble with it. I couldn't view any images, and they deducted 1 credit although the image didn't come up. A few times I got the message that the site was too busy or the image wasn't available. Doesn't bode very well for the 1911 launch.

Comment

The 1911 site is back online today and ESSEX HAS BEEN ADDED, I'm back there right now, got lots to look up!
                          :D Carolyn

Comment

The 1911 census site is offline due to

We’re sorry, 1911census.co.uk is experiencing technical problems

... and they are about to anounce the 1911 launch on BBC Breakfast so I expect it'll be dodgy for a few days. There'll be loads of people trying to look at it.
                            Last edited by Guest; 13-01-09, 06:28.

Comment

I had an email last night saying that it was going live today.
                              Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
                                I had an email last night saying that it was going live today.
                                Me too, but I was using it last night and have just been on it this morning with no problems.
                                Mind you, I only used the index. I didn't try to view anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X