Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• passenger list look up plz

Hi All, Its me again
    I was given some info that my great grandfather came to canada in 1896 and that his wife and children went to join him in WINNIPEG, in 1906, yet my great grandfather,appears on the 1901 census with the family, could someone possible check to see if the other entry is the wrong person,or if he returned to england before the 1901 census and perhaps check passengers list from 1901 to 1906? My great grand dad was Alfred Whalley he was English and born in 1872, according to my nans birth certs in 1894, he was a cotton cloth looker ????.
    Sorry for being a pain, but I would hate to have the wrong info.
    Much Thanks , Brenda
    Researching.......CHADDERTON , GILLETT, WHALLEY, RILEY, SUDWORTH ,COTTAM, DAWSON,HACKER....ALL FROM LANCASHIRE

Hi,
    I'm not quite sure which you want checked. Alfred Whalley went to Canada, Quebec on 17 sep 1896 from Liverpool a single male. The ship was the Numidian. I have looked at the passenger list and there is no further information. If you want a census look up where was he living in Uk, if you know?
    Cheers,

Comment

Hi Brenda,
      there are 7 Alfred Whalley incoming to UK entries, non of the birth dates fit , & they are incoming between 1911-1927.
      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Originally posted by fortuna View Post
        Hi,
        I'm not quite sure which you want checked. Alfred Whalley went to Canada, Quebec on 17 sep 1896 from Liverpool a single male. The ship was the Numidian. I have looked at the passenger list and there is no further information. If you want a census look up where was he living in Uk, if you know?
        Cheers,
        With that info, you may be able to find the immigration info from the Canadian archives site. They have images of the ships' manifests: the image-sets are indexed only by ship-name and date/port of entry, as I recall, and certainly not by name, so you'll have to trawl through the image-set once you've found it using that info above.

I'm at work, so can't give you the link now - but it's almost certainly in the Wiki.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Brenda,

was Alfred his full name, & could you post wife & childrens details, so I can check them.
          ~ Louise ~

Comment

Brenda,
            me again,

the Alfred Whalley 1896, was a single male....ie not married.
            ~ Louise ~

Comment

This is the site I meant:
              Search - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

I put in:
              Name of Ship: Numidian
              Year of Arrival: 1896
              Port of Arrival: Quebec
              Port of Departure: Liverpool

and was offered a selection of Hits, of which this was one:
              Ship:
              NUMIDIAN
              Departure Port and Date (yyyy/mm/dd): Liverpool, England - 1896-09-17
              Port and Date of Arrival: Montreal, Que. - 1896-09-26 Quebec, Que. -
              Remarks:
              List Number: 80
              Reference: RG 76
              Microfilm: C-4541
              The page with that info also has a link "View Image" - which will take you to the images of the ship's passenger list. It may have slightly different info from the departure list - and it does involve trawling the images, as I said - no name index.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ok , if the list says single , it cant be right......he was married with 2 children by that time..........in reply to Merdian, his wifes name was betty and children were ethel b 1891 and grace born 1894...............I am positive that Betty came to Canada, as I have her death certificate from Montreal,I called the cemetery to verify that it was the correct info,and it was ,maiden name and all, and she was the widow of Alfred,I even got the addres she lived at , at her time of death, and I checked it in the Lovell Directory for Montreal,she was not the leaseholder and its a name I do not know, The cemetery did not have a name for who claimed her ashes. I am starting to think that the info I was given back in December is incorrect.
                Researching.......CHADDERTON , GILLETT, WHALLEY, RILEY, SUDWORTH ,COTTAM, DAWSON,HACKER....ALL FROM LANCASHIRE

Comment

Hi,
                  It does seem a bit 'dodgy' unless he went alone and the wife and children followed later? Maybe they put 'single' as he was on his own? If that's not the case then the information you were given must be wrong! Can't think of anything else, Or there is another Alfred who sailed then and yours hasn't been found yet. Would you like me to look at some other years?
                  Last edited by fortuna; 12-01-09, 17:27.

Comment

I had a look through that list on the Canadian site... fortunately there are only five pages, though the images are not well-focussed, sadly - but I found him as an adult (i.e. no specified age) gent (i.e. no occupation specified) in the list of cabin passengers on image 3.

Christine

Comment

I just dont know what to make of this...........regardless he is on the 1901 census and the 1911 one too

Now this is the strange thing, although I found Alfred on the 1911 census as well as Grace and her sister Ethel, I could not find Betty! She is not listed as living with them! I even did a relationship to head search and nothing !

Brenda

Thank you everybody for taking the time to search for me !!

Comment

I see you have mentioned Parenci (in your pm) I googled this and got nothing but then I noticed on the ports for Canada I saw Paspebiac. I wonder if that is helpful?
                        Brenda, I found it very confusing having PM's and messages on here can you tell us where you have got to now? Happy to help,

Comment

Sorry Fortuna for confusing you , to be honest I am not sure where I am at the moment lol , the 1902 one that Fortuna pm'd me may fit, but again , he was back in the Uk for 1911. Maybe I should be requesting an INCOMING look up instead?????

Brenda

Im sorry for all the confusion !!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X