Is there any hope ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any hope ?

With so little information to work with.
    Arthur Fell born abt 1802 Dublin.
    I think, cant prove it, he marries in Cheshire 1828 (IGI Record) and goes to live in Wales where he features on 1851/61/71 Wales Census.
    With my limited experience I just dont know how or if I can proceed with his Irish ancestry. Any help greatly appreciated.

Did he have any children after 1837? If their births were registered then the birth certificate will give the mother's maiden name, so that should tell you if it matches the wife's name on the marriage you have found in Cheshire. You could look at the parish register entry for that marriage to see the witnesses' names which may or may not help. Does he have any Irish relatives with him on any of the censuses?

Hopefully some of his children might be named after his parents and other relatives which should help if you find any baptisms in Dublin that may or may not be him. I'll just have a look and see if I can find any likely...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I don't know if this is any help at all on the Cheshire Parish Register Project

CPRdb - Version v3.3 - 7 March 2005

It gives the 1828 marriage and gives details of witnesses.

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

By co-incidence

Hi Kite,
        thanks for response..................post arrives here pm never am but brings birth cert for Arthur's son which confirms IGI information. I'm not aware of any kin that came with him and
        Night Owl,
        Thats a useful site to bookmark and it supported a bit more info,
        Many thanks to both of you.
        Last edited by AlanC; 07-01-09, 15:23. Reason: additional script

Comment

Hi Alan,
          just looking at the info on Arthur and Anne, just noticed a child - Jane b.1835 and died 1836 according to IGI, just wondered if you had her. Sorry that does not get yuo any Dublin info though.
          Batch No C037422

.....added .........and a likely looking Richard in 1832, batch no P009451
          Last edited by Lovettpod; 07-01-09, 16:17. Reason: bit more info not asked for LOL!
          ;) Helen x

Comment

I had a look on the Irish Family History Foundation website but there were no Arthur Fell births, but it looks as though they haven't got all the Dublin info online yet, so maybe one day he will turn up!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Helen, yes I had those thanks and
              Kite, I appreciate your efforts of help with this 'head banger'

Comment

If you haven't already done so, you could try subscribing to the rootsweb mailing list for Dublin, just in case others there can help.
                Joy

Comment

1802 is Parish records in Ireland. You do need to know whether you are looking for RC or Protestant records as a starter. If they are RC then 1802 is very close to the limit of all RC records. Most Catholic parish records in Ireland do not start much before 1826, but a very few do go back to the mid 1700's but very very few. Protestant Records can go back to the 1600's in theory, but as it was mainly the Protestant records that were lost in the forecourt fires, of 1922 then you have probably have even less chance of getting very far back.

The Irish Family History Foundation Records are VERY INCOMPLETE and will remain incomplete, as the work done in the 1970's by the unemployed Irish people was NEVER completed.

With Irish Parish Records you really need to take a trip to the Dublin National Library to research Catholic Parish Records or Dublin National Archives to research Protestant Parish Records. This is still the best way as the IGI coverage for Ireland is only about 25% and very few records are online.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 09-01-09, 23:00.

Comment

Thanks to Joy and Janet especially Jan who supplied such useful information. For my part, it looks like a dead end for now on this side of the Tree.

Comment

Alan - a word of encouragement for you: my great-grandmother was Irish (born before civil registration), from where I knew not for a long time, though legend said one thing and then eventually the 1901 said another!

However, they may seem small dents, but there have been dents made in the seemingly-solid brick wall, because of replies to messages that I posted on rootsweb mailing lists and a surname message board, and these messages arrived several years later to my great excitement
                      Joy

Comment

I would like to agree with what Joy has already said about Rootsweb. I did browse through the site about 6 years ago and found somebody was researching the same family in Tipperary as myself, only they had some erroneous information, which I corrected on a postem note. I heard nothing for over a year and then another part of the family in the USA picked up my postem and started a correspondence, very gingerly at first, as neither of us were sure we each had the correct family, until they sent me copies of original letters from Ireland to the States. This proved a goldmine to me, because as I read the letters I realised that they corresponded to all the Irish info I had about my own family down to the one who had lost an arm in an accident and was living in Cork City, so in the end we had a complete story with all my Irish info on my side and all the USA info on their side, a complete success story. We have since met up and are related on both sides as 3 siblings from one family married three siblings from another family and we share the same Great Great Grandparents on both sides, so don't give up, but you do have to be realistic about what is and what is not online for Ireland and sadly it is still very little.

However, even with all this information I have only managed to get back to 1798 in Tipperary as the RC records for Tipperary only started 1798 and to try to get back further I belong to the Tipperary Historical Society which sends me a comprehensive book each year, which helps me with the history, as I now have all copies back to 1996 but still unable to get my family back beyond 1798. The Irish Family History Foundation that is now online are only the same records that already exist in the various Heritage Societies and we know how much they liked to charge people for the information and they are continuing their high charhes online, which in any case, as I stated previously were never completed back in the 1970's, which is why they have such huge gaps.

What needs to happen now, but I doubt it will, is for the Parish Records available in the Dublin Library and Dublin National Archives to be made available online, but a lot of work needs to be done on these records, similar to what is happening here in Free Reg and I do not think the will is there for the Irish to undertake this sort of task. There are pockets where people have undertaken some research, so some records are online, but this is too piecemeal and some professional body in Ireland wants to look at what can be done to help those unable to travel to Ireland. They have made a big start in putting the 1901 and 1911 Census online as well as the FULL Griffiths Valuation on Irish Origins but it is the Parish Records that people want.

There is still too much money to be made through the American market, though that is changing and the Credit Crunch may see even more changes in that direction. I have suggested to Findmypast that they take up this challenge of the Irish Parish Records. I wonder if it will ever happen!

Rant over!!

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 10-01-09, 12:16.

Comment

Joy and Janet, thanks again for words of encouragement, I'll try Rootsweb and try even harder to be patient.

Comment

janet, that story gives me hope that i'll one day be able to get records from clare without being ripped off!!

alan, i hope you get lucky and hit the jackpot!!

Comment

Working...
                            X