No announcement yet.

A poll for members who joined after September 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing about it 'on the other side' and having become disillusioned with the sniping, nastiness etc which is rife there, decided to defect. No regrets whatsoever.

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

Saw it mentioned on GR and popped over for a look and the rest is history as they say.
      Joined in 2008
      Georgy:smilee:

Comment

I voted other.

I had been a member of GR and did make contact with several very nice friendly people but was reluctant to post on gerneral. I made contact with JoJo of the Birthday Girls Cardmaking group and she told me about FTF. I came on to have a look and I liked what I saw. When my GR membership expired I didnt renew. I enjoy coming onto this site, I have found everyone so friendly, and i am looking forward to meeting up with some of the members at the newspaper library in Collinwood in February.

Comment

I"m with the majority. Saw it mentioned on GR, popped over for a look, found the discussion boards very helpful and joined. Altho I'm still a member of GR I get tired of reading their boards (maybe it is the format) and those "hot matches" are a pain in the delete button. Bonus was finding a sixth cousin on this site.
          Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I joined GC as it was then in 2003, was active on all the boards and in chat. Do you remember how Mandy and the others used to ask any man that ventured into chat 101 questions, no wonder they never returned lol
            Went to the GC Winchester meet. Left GR in 2007.
            Was one of the first members of Colin's site which has now closed.
            I'm a member of Debbi in Devon's site.
            I'm an active member of the Somerset Hundreds Groups, transriber for freereg, also the OPC for Coleford in Somerset.
            I've known about the site since you started, but only recently joined. I can't remember who jogged my memory about FTF. Must have been one of the many genealogy friends I have on facebook.
            Have so far got Kathleen and Wendy to join.
            I dont have a great deal of time, but look in when I can.
            Malc

OPC for Coleford, Somerset

Comment

I voted other. I was another one who had heard about "the other side" on GR and wanted to see for myself.

Can't remember who invited me though.
              Looking for Allinson, Barker, Bedford, Crosby, Emanuel, Glasby, Heseltine, Lister, Moorhouse, Morgan, Rees, Seymour, Sidwell, Summers, Tate, Turpin, Wilson

Comment

Did anyone join the site through coming across it by finding The Wiki or the magazine on a search engine? I appreciate that not all the 3000+ members are likely to join in the poll but maybe somebody among the regular posters joined us in this way.

Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Heard about FTF on GR. Joined in 2008. Rachel and Nick's Mum restored a family photo for me and I feel at home! Don't post much on the GR boards but sometimes chuckle to myself at the negative imput and replies.
                  Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

Have voted other. I was on GR at the time of the mass exodus, but wasn't sure what had happened. Elaine, Tatty Bear, invited me over to FTF as she was arranging a meet in Matlock at the time.

Jxx

Comment

I'm another from GR, after moaning about the lack of help on there, borobabs very kindly invited me and have never looked back.

Well done Pippa and Russ (and everyone else who help behind the sences)
                      www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
                      http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

When I was invited over from GR January 07 I was very unsure about getting involved with another group which I thought may be like another GR, so although I joined I did not get involved at all until January 08.

The reason I started to become interested at that point was because I had read about it in one of the Family History Magazines which seemed to think that the site was destined to go places, and aimed at a more discerning type of genealogy, so at that point I had another look and started to read the Wikki and all the other interesting items and put my own name down on the list of those who had a name study in a particular area. So I would say that the Wikki did influence my decision to become more of an active member at that point.

Janet

Comment

Well, I can't remember when I joined! but I voted anyway!
                          It was Heather who told me about FTF when I was on GR. Now I hardly ever go there as I much prefer being here

Comment

Originally posted by banana View Post
                            Well, I can't remember when I joined! but I voted anyway!
                            It was Heather who told me about FTF when I was on GR. Now I hardly ever go there as I much prefer being here
                            It's under your profile Ann, Feb 2007:D
                            Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

invited by another member...still go to GR..didn't have any problems on either site ..except learning the way of the computer lol

Comment

Another refugee from GR. I had been away for some weeks and when I was trawling through GR after my return I saw references to another side/ site. When I indicated on one of the boards that I would like an invite to join I was kindly sent an invite and joined in Dec 2006. And that has been a great move joining the FTF family!!

Comment

I voted other...I was (and still am) always on GR and Rootschat digging out info...I knew many of the current FTF members thru GR and Jacky( Tilly Mint) sent me a PM on GR telling me about this new site FTF and how great it was and she sent me an invite in January 2007...although your poll says "invite by friend" ...I`ve put "other"..when really ,although I have never met Jacky,I class her as a friend because we have been in touch online for about 4-5 years...so should I have voted "invite by friend"??...I feel I have MANY friends on here I have never met that I have been in touch with for 5-6 years...the majority being completely loopy of course...and for the record, I don`t quite know the "secret" of the friendliness of this site but it is a great release for me to click on FTF for a laugh and for some serious research...a well deserved pat on the back to ALL the moderators and whoever had the brainwave to start this site....and if America can have Obama for president...why can`t we have McMad for primeminister.......lol...allan:D:D
                                  Last edited by garstonite; 05-01-09, 04:07.
                                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Chrissie Smiff invited me, was on GR before, aware of the sniping, but was never personally involved. Found this site harder to use at first, but now used to it and haven't been back to GR discussion boards since. Am still a member of GR though, as I sometimes get contacts through my family tree being there. Haven't yet discovered that facility on here.
                                    ~Val~

Comment

Like Janet on link 31 - I seem to think I read about it in a family history magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
                                        I voted Other. I was around when the keruffle was going on in GR but most of it went over my head. :o There were/are some very helpful people there but they kept disappearing! and then one day the OC posted saying it was her last day and actually mentioned where she was going to take up residence - up until then it had been that "secret place".
                                        I followed OC too!
                                        Sue

Comment

I came over as a refugee from GR - so knew about it from posts on there.

Never go back to GR, although still grateful to the folk on there for help with research.
                                          Liz

Comment

Working...
                                          X