Victoria Barracks, Windsor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria Barracks, Windsor

I have been trying to find out more about the life of my (probable) grandfather, John Arthur Dowsett.

On his marriage certificate in 1916, his profession is "soldier" and his address is "Victoria Barracks, Windsor" (the marriage was in Epping).

I have looked on Ancestry and TNA, and have googled - is there anything else I can do to find out what he did in WW1, please?

It may be that I am looking for the wrong things as I don't know much about Military Records
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 03-01-09, 16:05.
    Joan died in July 2020.

According to Wikipedia the Victoria Barracks houses the guards that protect Windsor Castle, so maybe that's what he did during the War.

You should be able to find his army records, but it might mean going to Kew (again!).
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

no use at all, but if you google 'john arthur dowsett' you get just one hit ..... this thread!
      Rose

Comment

Thanks, Nell - think I could cope with another trip to Kew

How strange it seems, though, when the same person was suspected by MI5 of selling secrets to the Germans during WW2! - I suppose people can change!
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
          no use at all, but if you google 'john arthur dowsett' you get just one hit ..... this thread!
          LOL Rosie :D - I only posted it about 5 minutes ago!
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Type in dowsett and victoria into google.......

The Dowsetts of Windsor

Comment

BRITISH ARMY 1900 - 1979

There's a John Dowsett on this page..... Malta might be interesting.......

Sidney BREWSTER, aged 33 years, bachelor, Sergeant, Essex Regiment, the son of George Brewster, married 20th February 1906 to, Grace Ellen DOWSETT, aged 41 years, spinster, the daughter of John Dowsett

Mrs Agnes DOWSETT, the wife of Sergeant Albert Dowsett, Army Pay Department, died on Tuesday 18th August 1908, aged 32 years, in the Married Families Hospital, Valletta. She left a husband and one child, 5 years old Jessie

Also A.W. DOWSETT, Freemason, Master of The Union of Malta Lodge 1910
              mentioned there.......

Also a Wicks
              Harold Charles WICKS, aged 24 years, bachelor, Soldier, St. Andrews Barracks, the son of Godfrey Harry Wicks, married 6th September 1937, to Dorothea Hope SOLLITT, aged 19 years, spinster, the daughter of Winn Sollett
              Last edited by Peppie; 03-01-09, 17:29.

Comment

There are 17 medal cards for Dowsett but only one John A

Medal card of Dowsett, John A
                Corps: Royal Horse Artillery
                Regiment No: 21971

Comment

Gosh - thanks, Peppie and Southwick - off to investigate it all - I may be some time! :D
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                  X