No announcement yet.

Where do they go to ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well it was the 44th foot in Essex,East Essex regiment, thats all I know.
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

So, this is her sister getting married/

Marriages Jun 1891
      Davies David Newport, M. 11a 279
      Hart Annie Newport, M. 11a 279
      Morris John Newport, M. 11a 279
      Speck Elizabeth Newport, M. 11a 279

I think Morris was the name of the family they were living with in 1891.

Comment

Re the Speck children born in Brentwood. Just noticed that these births were registered in the Romford reg district which does not include Brentwood. Great Warley however does come under Romford r g and Great Warley = army barracks in the 1880's.
        Moggie

Wow!! have a look at this link

Warley Barracks
        Last edited by maudarby; 03-01-09, 15:49.

Comment

This looks hopeful:

Elizabeth Speck Pedigree
          Female

Event(s):
          Birth: 11 FEB 1874

Christening: 04 MAR 1874 Kamptee, , Tamil Nadu, India

Parents:
          Father: James Speck
          Mother: Elizabeth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Comment

Hi Merry
            You just beat me to it with the above info because I went back to look at a Henry Speck that I had found in Hackney in 1901 he was a soldier in the Royal Garrison Artillery and he was born c 1870 at Kamstel India but to me it looks very like Kamptee on the image. Perhaps another son of James & Eliza, they seem to be popping up all over the place.
            I have just trawled through 29 pages (on my discs) at Little Warley barracks in 1881 but no sign of any Specks.
            Moggie

Comment

Oh I am back for a bit, phew you have been busy many thanks again, yes Warley I saw that on one of the Census I think as to where one of them was born, so thats a definate.
              So looks like James Speck was in the Army in India then ?
              regards Patti

Comment

I expect he was all over the place Patti! His army record may well tell you all about all his children and when and where he got married.

Comment

So my next question is, Would I be able to get hold of his Army record by mail or internet do you think, Do they let Great Grand daughters have such things.
                  regards Patti

Comment

lol! Of course!! Can you go to Kew?

I don't know much about the army records from this period. Earlier ones can be found on "The Catalogue" and ordered online, but not for 1860's to 1880's ish.

I'm sure there's someone else who will know though.

Comment

No I dont do travelling at all,mmm will see what I can find out then, I have just put all this on paper and now its got a lot of meat on the bones so to speak, thank you.
                      regards Patti

Comment

His army records will be at Kew, so if you are living London then you should be able to find the time to get to Kew by underground, if not car. Findmypast should have all these army marriages and births on their Overseas Section. They used to be in a big book in the FRC, now closed. These records go back to about 1780 and when you find the reference you can send for the Certs in the usual way. For the earlier records you do need to know the regiment to be able to research at Kew. The place in India will be Kamptee as this was where one of the barracks was. I found all my army records for this era at Kew, along with the Muster records which give a lot of info regarding how many children, whether on Married Establishment roll and exact ages like 3 and 2 months etc!

Janet

Comment

Thank you Janet,its all there then,lots to think about now.
                          regards Patti

Comment

Working...
                          X