No announcement yet.

What do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well Guy..I spend most sat/sun mornings when I`m not working ,trawling the genealogy sites..seeing who OTHER people are looking for..very rarely they are looking for YOUR family members or their spouses..;).I spend about 30 mins on each site...GR...Rootschat...Yoliverpool..Ancestral-villages .and FTF...you will be amazed at what crops up...and you get GREAT satisfaction helping others...for instance there ARE parish records back to 1500`s on line..
    www.csc.liv.ac.uk~/cprdb is a cheshire parish records database site covering many many parish records,but not ALL...so if you see someone asking about Joe Bloggs b 1731 cheshire..you can go to the csc site and see if he`s there...you should go to as many Genealogy sites as you can and LEAVE YOUR INFO AND REQUESTS...the replies and queries you receive will make sure you are not bored,I assure you....I have only been researching 6 years but through people like OC/mary from italy/elaine in spain/merry montgomery and the other countless well versed members on this site we are learning everyday...as OC has stated,LDS alone should keep you busy for a while...anyway...good luck...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I haven't been able to add "new ancestors" to my direct line for about 20 years.
      BUT I've had great fun with extended family studies - going back and adding siblings and then bringing them all forwards again. These are where the "more interesting" characters have been discovered, and it has also been fascinating to set the families "in time" and to see how social change/contemporary trends have affected the fortunes of different branches.
      In the early 1700's, two of my male direct ancestors married twice and had two families. In both cases, my own branch has downgraded from husbandmen (following the enclosure of land) and remained "poor" ag labs. The "other" families fared rather better. One line were tenant farmers in North Yorkshire, and through a marriage to a Quaker lady, the members of the other line were set up in trade or had professions. They were sent away to boarding school to be educated (including a daughter) and one opened his own museum in Great Yarmouth. Other family members were employed in the Workhouse system as master/matron and a son became chief medical officer of the Woolwich Infirmary.
      In yet another line, a poor illegitimate boy somehow managed to become a farmer with shares in shipping and to educate all of his 14 children. My gt-gt-gdmother (his daughter) seems to have been the black sheep of the family, but her siblings all did well for themselves, one was a master mariner, another ran his own private school in London, two girls were governesses and teachers, and another brother managed a stone quarry in Odessa.
      I have found links with Germany, Russia, New Zealand, Australia and Canada. Above all, I have made contact with many other researchers, some of whom have generously shared photos/family papers etc.
      For each new piece of the jigsaw found, there are lots of new questions to puzzle over - why did he remarry and immediately set sail for NZ, leaving behind the infant son from the first marriage? How and when did these two keep in contact, as the son was reunited with the father in NZ 18 years later?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Apart from doing my tree, I have enjoyed quite a few weekends at various towns and villages 'treading in their footsteps'.
        One of my main branches came from a market town Cambridgeshire, which I've visited on several occasions complete with mid 1800's street map so I could literally visit their houses/whre their houses once stood. I have stood in the church where my great great grandparents married and where all of their 8 children were baptised, and subsequently walked the graveyard where many of them are buried. I later discovered that my g.g.g grandparents married in that church too, and so I started to feel a real attachment to this town. I photographed anything which might have been there when they lived there, I went to the museum, bought some books on the area, and I contacted a local historian who helped me out too. I joined the local history society, and enjoy reading their quarterly magazine, even though I have never attended one of their meetings (I live NOWHEERE near Cambridgeshire!) and probably never will, I like the feeling that I am involved.
        So that's one suggestion of what you could do whilst you are currently tired of doing your actual tree.

I decided to go sideways and forwards with my tree, once I found that I was a bit stuck going backwards. ANd consequently I have found second and third cousins a few times removed by going down the lines of non-blood line spouses. I have made contact with two of these newly discovered cousins and now have a 'new' side to my tree. One of them is a keen family historian too, so we have enjoyed sharing information, photos and bmd certs. As she's a generation older than me she remembers some family members from the past, who I only 'know' of by name.
        Yes, our link comes from far back, ie 3xg grandparents, but we are related however distantly, and have learned so much more about the different branches of our common tree.
        It's worth a try.
        Karen x

Comment

Another advantage of going sideways and forwards is finding the occasional neice or widowed father or mother turning up in an unexpected household, helping to confirm that you do have the correct family.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

How can you RESIST going backwards! I can't.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              How can you RESIST going backwards! I can't.

OC
              All my backwards are dead ends!

Another good thing about going forwards is, if you can trace living distant cousins sometimes they can knock down a brickwall for you. I was stuck Elizabeth Smith and only a county of birth. Someone else had her father's will and as it named her with her married surname they identified my ancestor for me when there was no chance of me doing so myself!

Comment

Backwards, Sidewards, Forwards or even Downwards its all interesting to me.

As been said before in many posts in this thread Family History encompasses so much more than just finding out names and dates. There's a lot to find out, social history, local history, connected families...

How 'they' lived more than when they died to be honest.

Delving a bit a deeper, wider and going a bit further everytime.

Comment

Merry

I didn't say I don't go sideways AS WELL, lol!

Sometimes I go so far sideways I meet myself round the other side. It is almost always a fruitful diversion.

OC

Comment

Another thought, lol.

If I had stopped my tree at 1841 I would be looking at a very small tree and a frankly boring one.

All my scoundrels, scallywags, eccentrics and plain insane ancestors were well before this time and have given me endless amusement.

There is SO MUCH information out there. The trick is finding it.

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X