Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coalminers

hi
    does anyone know if there is an index that links miners and their houses?
    i seem to remember reading somewhere that if they worked in the mines they usually had a house or cottage that was tied to it (probably wrong) but thought it worth asking

Thanks Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Don't know about the index, but do know my grandfather had a coal miner's house in Yorkshire in the mid-1900s.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Cannot help with this but would be very interested to know the answer,
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I don't know if there is a definite answer to this or not, but it might be worth contacting the National Union of Mineworkers as they do have some mining records I believe

The National Union of Mineworkers | The History of the NUM
        Barbara

Comment

I would imagine any such lists would be with the Mine records, as in a list of their assets.

Another way of finding out is to consult Rates Books, if you know the address. Rates were usually paid by the OWNER of the property, not the occupier, until fairly recent times.

OC

Comment

remember that street names have sometimes been changed too. There is one street within 200 yards of me that is now known as Park Terrace. While the pit was open it was known as Colliery Row.
            Barbara

Comment

thanks
              where would i look for the rates?
              there is no info on the NUM site so will have to try another way

Thanks again
              Marie
              My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
              Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

I know that my house was owned by the coal board until something daft like 1978 when it was sold to the then occupiers.. alot of colliery houses were actually sold on to local councils for something like £1.

Also Barbara mentions the name change of the road... this also happened here when the council took over.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Rates Books won't be online.

Depending when, they will either be in the County Records Office, or still held by the rates department of the local council.

OC

Comment

It doesn't answer the question, but this question reminded me that I came across this site the other day -
                    Mine exploration, exploring disused mines and quarries, mining history, photographs and information for explorers, historians and industrial archaeologists
                    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 02-01-09, 07:42.
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Pre-nationalisation (?1947?), any houses would have been owned by the original colliery companies, of which there were huge numbers, most of them very small. I have the doubtful honour of having a couple of colliery owners in my tree.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                        It doesn't answer the question, but this question reminded me that I came across this site the other day -
                        Mine exploration, exploring disused mines and quarries, mining history, photographs and information for explorers, historians and industrial archaeologists
                        That is very interesting, I have quite a few coal miners on mums side, I shall have a mooch, thanks.

Comment

Mineworkers

Try this site for some social history, the reports contain a lot of names.

The Coal Mining History Resource Centre  

Comment

Originally posted by Southwick View Post

The Coal Mining History Resource Centre *

Excellent site!!! Thanks for the link Found one of my rellies in the accidents and disasters section.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb N View Post
                              Excellent site!!! Thanks for the link Found one of my rellies in the accidents and disasters section.
                              Hi Deb

Is it anyone I know? ;)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Deb N View Post
                                Thanks from me as well for that site.

Don't know if it is the same one Deb found, but I have found one of my gg uncles on there, T Colwood. He died when he was crushed by corves in inclined drift owing to breaking of a hook. He was (according to that site) 14 years old, but I think he was actually only 13.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Strange I was only looking at this site at the beginning of the week, knew that my granddad was injured in a mining accident and spent a year in hospitl before he died, could not find him on this site which I was idsappointed about, but I did find another relation that died in a mining accident.
                                  Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
                                  https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
                                  searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Comment

Tht's interesting. I put my g grandfathers name in and up came the information from the inquest I had researched about the accident that killed him in 1866. I had given the information to Durham Mining Museum website.
                                    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                    X