No announcement yet.

Doesnt anyone else feel the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've downloaded 26 full images and viewed 12 transcripts. Just 2 of those transcripts turned out to be not mine and all the full images were mine. Yes I've spent a lot but that was my choice (my christmas present to myself) and I have spent a lot more in the past on trips to records offices or to Chancery Lane in the days when the census was there and nothing was online. I have also been impressed with the quality of transcription - not found any errors at all, and the only info not included on the transcribed page was number of children and whether working at home, on own account etc.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My Ancestry subscription comes up for renewal at the end of January.

I'm going to dump that for a while and use the money on 1911.

So little spare money ...... so many wanted images!

Comment

My counties of interest are not available yet, so I haven't bought any credits.

I don't think it's mega-expensive per single image, when you consider how much it costs to get one copy of something from a record office.

BUT like kids let loose in the sweet shop, we're not content to have the odd image. We want the LOT and we want it NOW.
        If we don't want to pay, we'll just have to wait until we can access it locally on film. As always, the choice is ours.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Guy

Unfortunately, no one ever offered me the chance to transcribe the 1911. If they had, I would have jumped at the chance to do it, as would thousands of other people.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
            There is a very simply answer to those who moan about the price, errors etc.
            Provide such a service yourself.

It is very easy to complain about such things but I notice the people who complain are seldom the people who offer a similar service to their fellow family historians.

If you can offer a better service, lower price, better transcripts, do it.
            People will flock to your site. ;)
            Cheers
            Guy
            Well put Guy....

Placing this information online has cost someone a significant amount of money and time, and it is only right that they should seek to reclaim this.. otherwise how can we expect them to invest time and money to do the next ones...
            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Grim

That isn't the point though. Of course it has cost someone money and time, no one is denying that, and of course they are entitled to expect to make an overall profit from their ventures.

The point here is that some people find it expensive...what's wrong with that statement? It's a statement which depends on one's financial circumstances, surely?

Here's an example. Years ago, I spotted on A2A, a Will which I very much wanted. It was held in private hands - a firm of solicitors in Salisbury. They wanted £130 + vat, to send me a copy. I simply did not have that money available and I thought it was too expensive for what it was - two conditions existing there in my decision not to get it.

Some years later I was delighted to see all the papers on this family had been passed to Lancashire RO and I got a copy of the Will for just £3.50. Well worth £3.50 but I would have been very disappointed if I had paid £130 for it!

Some people on here would pay any amount of money to knock down a particular brick wall - me included. Some people wouldn't, because they don't have the money. It isn't about "do it yourself then, if you think you could do it cheaper" because that option is not available.

OC

Comment

OC, the choices are simple... If you dont agree with the price, don't pay it....
                Wait around to see if the price drops or if someone else starts providing transcripts etc at a price you like...

No-one is being forced to spend money here... It is no good FMP or anyone else providing services at a price point which could be unsustainable and risk the loss of the resource...

As has been pointed out by others, it is all about prioritising your finances..

I personally would not pay the current rate, would get Julie to instead ;)
                https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Whilst i agree that there is a cost in terms of time, effort eand money to post the information online i have seen several threads on the internet voicing concerns that the cost is rather high when you consider that it is a beta test. True bugs need to be ironed out but asking for payment from those testing the system has upset quite a few people.

Looking at my tree there is little i stand to gain from the 1911. Six sibs in one family group but between them only one married before 1911, just one child was born before the 1911 and i have the birth cert anyway. The remaining marriages and children came along from 1912 onwards.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

OMG, supposing when the proper version is released, it is MORE expensive??!!

*gulp"

Comment

Originally posted by bev&kev View Post
                      OMG, supposing when the proper version is released, it is MORE expensive??!!

*gulp"
                      That's what was worrying me, initially but there is a post here (# 205)

which explains it
                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

The site is very busy at the moment so I can't get to see the images, but compared with £7 for a cert (and certs don't always have the info you need) I think its worth it, especially as I was expecting to wait much longer to access the census.

I've found finding people fairly easy and only two errors (though one of them was a place name and I don't think there should be any of those mistakes any more), the other error was my paternal grandfather's first name, but it IS very unusual and its been mistranscribed on all the other censuses too.

Horses for courses, really. I don't have any other great indulgences, I don't run a car, I don't smoke or drink excessively and the last handbag I bought was on ebay, so I might as well spend and enjoy!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1911 censu

I was pleased to get access to the 1911 census and found information about my paternal grandmother, it was her place of birth that I needed to confirm. I had hoped this would lead me to her birth certificate, her maiden name was Jean Alice Hudson and place of birth Cockermouth Cumberland. From the information I have (death certificate, 2 marriages certs, information from my father) it lead me to an entry 10b 535 Aug, Sept, quarter 1981 Cockermouth Jane Ann Hudson, would it be possible for an entry to be miss transcribed. I have applied for the certificate but it was rejected by the GRO as the 2nd name did not match, I do know her ather's name was William Hudson. I would very much appreciate any help or advice.

Jan

Comment

Hi Jan,

Welcome to FTF!

It would probably better if you opened up a separate thread for your query as a lot of people may not come back to this thread if they've read it already.

Just click on Research Qs & As at the top of this page:

Family Tree Forum > Research Advice > Research Qs & As > Doesnt anyone else feel the same?

.....and then click New Thread.

In the mean time, do you have an occupation recorded for William Hudson?

Comment

Occupation

Thank you for your feedback, I have done as you suggested. On my grandmothers 1st marriage certificate in 1906, William Hudson is recorded as a labourer (deceased).

Jan

Comment

Working...
                              X