World War One question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War One question.

I've never used these records on Ancestry before as all mine were in Australia, but I'm helping my step-dad.

I've found his uncle George Ernest Knightly Evans born 1890, killed in action 3 Sept 1916. I have no idea where.

He was born in Ireland (Kerry). According to Ancestry's "UK Soldiers who died in the Great War", he was in the Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians).

Can anyone tell me if I can find anything else on Ancestry or elsewhere???

I have tried all the other Ancestry databases I can see but nothing comes up for "George Ernest Knightly Evans" and hundreds for George Evans.

Thanks.

Found where he is buried....Delville Wood Cemetery Longueval, France.

I'd love to know the story around it or his record.

Comment

I can't see any more on Ancestry, but he's on the CWGC site, if that's any help.

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi Libby
        If you google "Langueval" you can find the WW1 battlefields website, which describes a bit of the fighting there, and the cemeteries etc
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Google the "long, long trail" it has vast amounts of ww1 stuff. The great war forum is closed at the moment as they suffered a malware attack and won't be back on line till they've cleaned up.

Comment

Hi Libby,

His medal card is on Ancestry (George E K Evans), and is more informative than most. I can send you the image if you can't access it.

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi
              You don't say if youv'e got his death cert, if you haven't here is the ref.
              "Index of War Deaths 1914-21 Vol. 0.9 Page 3".
              If you have already got this info, then just ignore the message
              L

Comment

As he was an officer and served before Irish partition, his army service record should be available from Kew to download. However, I can't see it!! Is it possible he remained in the army after WW1?

Comment

"Is it possible he remained in the army after WW1?"

Merry,

He died in 1916!

scuda

Comment

Oh pmsl!!! (sorry! lol)

Well, I don't know why I can't find his record. There's only one with the right initials and his surname is BEMAND.

Comment

Gravestone Inscription Killorglin, Co Kerry
                      In loving memory of George Knightly Evans died 22 Nov 1937 and his beloved wife Julia died 28 Jan 1944 Sweet Jesus have mercy
                      2nd Lt. George Ernest K Evans died 3 9 1916
                      Alfred Francis Evans Mb died 15 1 1931 Aden
                      William Evans LRCFSI MD Ballyraggell died 15 10 1941

Comment

Thank you all.

Colin.......That inscription is for his parents. We've never worked out why Alfred and William are mentioned there as we are fairly sure they are buried elsewhere.

I must work on that next.......lol

Thaks,

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                          Hi Libby,

His medal card is on Ancestry (George E K Evans), and is more informative than most. I can send you the image if you can't access it.

scuda

Sorry....but I cannot find that. I have the Ancestry UK Heritage and it has a lot of war records, but I'v only found him on the "UK Soldiers who died in the Great War" database and nowhere else.

L.......thank you, I didn't see that either. Not sure if, as I said above, it's on the sub I have, or if I'm just useless at searching.........lol

Comment

The easiest way to get there is to go to the main search page (I'm on the old-style search) and do an exact search for George E K Evans. Don't put anything else. For me that gave two results: 1901 census, and the medal card.

Ask again if you still don't find it.

scuda

Comment

Thnaks......I think that's what I tried.

I'll try again now.

Comment

Thanks Scuda.......got it.

I didn't do an exact match the first time.......you'd think he would have come up towards the top when I put the same search items in......lol

Comment

Working...
                                X