No announcement yet.

Help! My brickwall has just got higher!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My brickwall has just got higher!

My brickwall is my gggg grand parents Samuel & Ann Stowell. Their son Samuel, c1808 went to the Royal Military Asylum Chelsea from 1816 to 1822. According to his school details, his parents were Samuel & Ann & his father was in the Coldstream Guards (the school is only for the children of army personnel,so I am sure this is correct). When Samuel junior left the school, he was released to his father living at Castle Place, 4 Castle Lane Westminster, however, after that I can find no record of his parents. I thought that I had found Ann's death cert, but when I received it this morning(very quick for the GRO), I discovered that it was for a 3 yr old pauper child :(
    When I was at Kew, I looked to find any record of Samuel snr in the Coldstream guards in the Muster rolls (WO12/1704 &1713) but found no trace of him. I know there are other Coldstream records, but am not expecting to get to Kew again for a long time.
    Can anyone suggest anything I can do to find what happened to them please?
    Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 22-12-08, 12:48.
    Lynn

have you seen this scroll down to Samuel Stowell

Comment

just realised you probably have

Comment

Yes, thanks Val, that site is where I got his information from. The Samuel James listed is Samuel junior's son my gg grandfather.
        Lynn

Comment

Have you got Samuel junior's birthplace?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You could write to Coldstream Guards Archivist at Wellington Barracks in London who would hold records for the Coldstream Guards as well as Kew. They may well take a long time to reply though, and will try to charge you £30, but you should argue that records this old should be freely available, as they are at Kew (worked for me!)
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I don't know Samuel junior's birth place as he never featured in a census, being in Canada in 1841 & dead by 1851 :(. The school said he was born in Middlesex, although his army details said Reading

Ann, I am not sure if I'd have the guts to suggest that! but it is an idea, they can only say no.

Checking back on my other notes, I discovered that he was probably in the 1st Battalion & the records I looked at in Kew were for the 2nd :( Sadly there don't seem to be records for the 1st there.
              Lynn

Comment

There are lots of other refs for Coldstream Guards Muster rolls between WO12 1704 and 1713, unless you mean you looked at 1704-1713. Also before and after, too. I'm only looking at the online catalogue of course, perhaps the paper catalogue gives more detail.

Don't let them charge you the £30! The Guards are the only regiments who hold on to records and try to charge this. I feel strongly that their records should be held at TNA, the same as all others.
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

The muster rolls only cover the 2nd battalion. I did only check those 2 doc though.
                  Lynn

Comment

I'm sure the paper catalogue would specify, so it sounds as though you're right. Wellington Barracks would have more, I'm pretty sure.

Comment

I might well give them a try after Christmas, thanks for the idea Ann
                      Lynn

Comment

Working...
                      X