Marriage Allegations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Allegations

How long before the marriage took place was the allegation made?

The reason I ask is that I have a copy of the marriage allegation of Thomas Haines dated 14th October 1750. The IGI has an extracted record of the marriage for Thomas on the same date (14/10/1750)

I have been going through a document written on 28th Jan 1845 by one of Thomas' decendents the date given for their marriage was 25th October 1750. I know it is more then possible that the decendent got the information wrong, but so far all the dates and events he recorded have been substanciated (sp) well all but one and that is the date of birth for Thomas.

Thomas is recorded as being born in Feb 1724 which would have made him 26 when he married in Oct 1750, but the alligation gives his age as 25, so I might have to dig around on that one a bit more

anyway sorry for rattling on ;)
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Thomas is recorded as being born in Feb 1724 which would have made him 26 when he married in Oct 1750, but the alligation gives his age as 25, so I might have to dig around on that one a bit more
    Didn't the new calendar come in in 1852? I could be wrong, but if it was 1852, then the Feb date on on the Julian Calendar would make him 25 when he married.

BTW, what is a marriage allegation???? I have never heard of one! I always though an allegation was when someone was accused of something without proof. LOL!!

Comment

You need to see the parish register to find out when the marriage actually took place - your contact may be right, and it is the IGI which is wrong!

Also - one year's difference in his age wouldn't bother me at all, if everything else was correct.

February 1750 was the eleventh month of the year 1750. October 1750 was the eighth month of the year 1750, so he was 25 and a half when he married (in his 26th year).

All this supposes that no one has mucked about and corrected the dates - you need to se the parish register original.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that OC, the brides age is a year out as well, but now makes sence I always forget about the calender changes.

So would the alligation have been made before the wedding day or on the wedding day?
        Vikki -

Comment

The allegation was made when a licence was applied for, the licence would then be used at a later date so its possibe that the IGI "extracted" dates from a list of marriage allegations and that the later marriage date you have is correct.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith, thats what I needed to know, I will see if the Guildhall have the actual registers for the marriage.
            Vikki -

Comment

I once found a submitted marriage on IGI with a date on it - which turned out to be the date the first banns were called.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have a marriage which appears as as an extracted IGI entry in two locations. They were the dates of banns being called in the bride's and bridegroom's churches, which were nearly 100 miles apart.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John..................you have just solved a problem for me. I had the same thing on the IGI, both extracted for the same people (I know they are the same people not two couples with the same name).

I have very few with banns, most were licences and that one was annoying me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post

BTW, what is a marriage allegation???? I have never heard of one! I always though an allegation was when someone was accused of something without proof. LOL!!
                    This is the first time I have come across this phrase, please will someone explain very simply for me? Thanks

Anne

Comment

A marriage allegation was a sworn statement by the couple that there was no impediment to their marriage. The Vicar/Bishop whoever then issued a marriage licence.

It was used instead of Banns, usually for a couple who were not normally resident in an area and therefore not known to anyone who could vouch for them, or object to Banns.

OC

Comment

I found this which might help explain some of the terms used

EDIT ...... Woops OC beat me to it ...lol
                        Vikki -

Comment

Thank you OC & Vikki.

Comment

Thank you very much, I have learned something new

Anne

Comment

Working...
                            X