help with new south wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with new south wales

ok, got an email saying someone replied to a message on ancestry i'd left concerning bestel's. i looked it up, and i'd replied to someone's thread. anyway, there was like a whole book that went on when i had no clue!! now i need some help with info an australian living in america has left me.

can anyone give me help with new south wales indexes, and maybe shipping lists around 1880's? the people im trying to find out about where mauritian.
    the man was nicles fernand bestel, and he apparently came here with his brother, a sister and her husband, and his mother. this is news to me. apparently before 1884, as he was married that year. he came to victoria, and the rest seem to have stayed in sydney.

so, if anyone knows about indexes, could they look for dowson, bestel deaths? looking for caroline who died 1906, sydney, in particular.

any help would be very wonderful
    Last edited by kylejustin; 29-12-08, 06:05.

Hi
    Try www.records.nsw.gov.au - this is the NSW archives website they have lots of on-line indexes - esp assisted migrants and links to the incoming passenger lists. Also Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the Victorian archives website - if he came first to Melbourne, Victoria, the records are kept separately to NSW. I will have a bit of a look around.

Diane
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi again

It looks like one of them came our first, then the others followed. You might be able to work out which is which. The information runs -Family Name, First Name, Age, Month, Year, Ship,Port, Fiche Page (age A=adult)

BESTEL, ---- ME, 50, OCT, 1883, SALAZIE, F, 206 001
      BESTEL, ---- MISS, A , OCT, 1890, SALAZIE, F, 262 003
      BESTEL, ---- MRS, A, OCT, 1890, SALAZIE, F, 262 003
      BESTEL, A A , 25, FEB, 1912, C J S, F, 435 001
      BESTEL, ARMAND MR, 26, APR, 1879, LUGAR, F, 177 1
      BESTEL, R MISS, A, OCT, 1890, SALAZIE, F, 262 003

There are also some marriages and deaths, but no birth registrations on the NSW BDM indexes website: NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages.

Diane
      Diane
      Sydney Australia

Comment

From the NSW website:
        BESTEL CAROLINE father PIERRE R B mother ANNE district ASHFIELD year 1906 (reg no 4197)

Also two deaths for her children ?
        BESTEL GEORGE father NICHOLAS mother CAROLINE district LEICHHARDT year 1891
        BESTEL ROSINE father NICLES mother CAROLINE district ASHFIELD year 1906 (reg no 4182)

Still checking for Nicles death.

you can obtain transcrptions for the certificates at about half the cost of a certified certificate. There is a link to the transcrption agents on the NSW BDM website.
        Diane
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

Do you want me to keep going - The Bestels seem to be easy enough to find.

Would this Fernard Bestel be Nicles Fernand Bestel ?

The Argus - 25 August 1921
          Death Notices

BESTEL.-On the 24th August, at his residence,
          45 Brunswick street, Fitzroy, Fernand Bestel,
          beloved husband of the late Margaret Bestel,
          loving father of Ada (Mrs, Doherty), Frederick,
          Reta (Mrs. Turner), Richard, Dolly. R.LP.

This is from the NLA Digitised Newspapers Website (NLA Australian Newspapers beta)

If this is him, then I think I can find Margarets death notice also.

You can view the Victorian Death Indexes on-lline, but to view the results is pay-per-view, but you can download the image of the record for just $17.50, which is a great price.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

Looks like Di has this one all sorted.
            Kit

Comment

Hi Kit

The Bestels seem pretty easy to find, if you know where to look - I hope the original poster checks back to see how easy it can be. One Frederick Bestels seems to have been an important person in Victoria and there are several references around for him.

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Goodness, it sounds as though Armand Bestel had an eventful voyage:

Southland Times Wednesday 23 April 1879

On the passage of the barque Lugar, from Mauritius to Melbourne, three distinct shocks of earthquake were felt. The severest of these occurred on the 9th March, in lat. 30deg. 27min. S., and long. 57deg. 35 min. E. A peculiar tremulous motion was experienced on board while the shock lasted.
                The 1855 Wellington Earthquake

Comment

Nicholas Gustave Bestel was a judge of the Mauritius Court of Appeal in 1832:

The Colonial Office List for ... - Google Book Search

Comment

Mr. Nicholas Gustave Bestel, barrister-at law, formerly senior Puisne Judge, and lately Acting Chief Judge, of the Supreme Court of the Island of Mauritius, to be a Knight of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
                    Annual Register - Google Book Search

Comment

There's a tree on Geneanet that includes Nicles Fernand Bestel. I was assuming that he was related to Nicholas Gustave the judge, but he isn't mentioned.

Nicles Fernand Bestel - Arbre généalogique Clancy Philippe - GeneaNet

Comment

There are a few Bestel references in the London Gazette:
                        London Gazette beta Search Results
                        The OCR makes it a bit garbled, but you can probably make it out. You can see the actual images from that link.

East India-House* August 4, 1S41.
                        THE Court of Directors of the East India Company do hereby give notice, .that they have received Calcutta Gazettes, containing the under-mentioned notices, published by the Court for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors there, under the provisions of the Act of the 9th George 4th,cap«7»
                        Nicies Lewis Antonio Bestel, of Ballegunge, formerly, a partner of the firm of H'enley, Dawson, and Bestel, of Calcutta—prisoner in the- gaol of Calcutta. Date of Gazette, containing notice,
                        January 9, 18*41.
                        Downing-Street, July 14> 1855.
                        ...Her Majesty has further been pleased to appoint ...
                        and Nicolas Gustave Bestel, Esq., to be SeniorDistrict Magistrate, for the Island of Mauritius.
                        Doioning-Street, May 8, 1857.
                        Her Majesty has also been pleased to appoint Nicolas Gustave Bestel, Esq., to be Second Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court of the Colony of Mauritius ;
                        Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

wow, you guys have been fantastic!! i never thought they were easy to trace!!

di, thanx for those links relating to the bmd's. unfortunatley, i cant find the bestel's on the shipping lists, or figure out who those you found were.
                          i did think that $27 was a little much, specially since they told you the reg num. it costs $25 if you dont have the reg, and $17 if you do, for victorian certs.
                          i also didn't know about the death notices, thankyou. i havn't got the deaths for this for branch of my family yet, just the marriages and births.
                          i think nicles died in mauritius, and that might be the reason the family left.

mary, i think that nicholas gustave was a cousin of the nicholas'. theyre descended from francois bestel, whose brother antoine was a major player in the revolutionary government in mauritius during the french revolution. nik g may have been his descendant.

christine, thankyou for the information on his knighthood. there i definently reseach i want to do there.

i just wish records were available from mauritius. i can't see anything online about how to access them, but did find an address for the government for something.
                          Last edited by kylejustin; 29-12-08, 06:06.

Comment

The Bestels are on the Victoria shipping lists:

Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923

Just put the surname in.

They sound like a really interesting family.

Comment

Might be worth joining this mailing list to ask for information:

Le Groupe de Discussion anglais

Comment

There's quite a bit of information about Mauritus here if you speak French:

plan du site

Comment

i just signed up, i hope they can help!!

Comment

Working...
                                  X