Ancestry, incoming passenger list 1878-1960

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry, incoming passenger list 1878-1960

hi. after getting back into family tree yesterday i have found on ancestry 18 bassicks listed in the uk passenger list.
    could anyone have a look at this for me please
    also 1 ww1 record
    i have all the census records from when i had ancestry.
    thanks a lot. edith

The WW1 record is for William Henry Bassick, reg.no. 420024. According to the records he was born c 1895 Hackney, occupation on enlistment Lawyers Clerk. Cannot see any reference to next of kin in the records.

The entries for the passenger lists are as follows:
    (format is name /approx year of birth / arrival date / port of departure / port of arrival)
    Bassick b 1879 4 Sep 1947 New York - Southampton
    Afdisly Bassick 12 Jan 1908 Brisbane - London
    Anthony Dunbar Bassick b1918 2 Aug 1949 Wellington, NZ - London
    Della W Bassick b 1880 27 Sep 1924 New York - Glasgow
    Edgar Bassick b 1872 28 Jun 1921 New York - Southampton
    Edgar Webb Bassick b 1902 17 Jun 1922 New York - Liverpool
    Frederick C Bassick b 1877 25 Jun 1935 New York - Southampton
    Fredk C Bassick b 1876 28 Jun 1926 New York - Southampton
    John George Bassick b 1888 2 Aug 1949 Wellington - London
    Lillian Bassick b 1876 28 Jun 1926 New York - Southampton
    Lillian C Bassick b 1916 28 Jun 1926 New York - Southampton
    Lillian C Bassick b 1916 25 Jun 1935 New York - Southampton
    Margaret Bassick b1912 27 Sep 1924 New York - Glasgow
    Mary Bassick b 1886 4 Sep 1947 New York - Southampton
    Sarah Bassick b 1887 12 Apr 1939 Wellington -London
    Sarah Ann Bassick b 1887 2 Aug 1949 Wellington - London
    Sarah Elizabeth Bassick b 1909 2 Aug 1949 Wellington - London
    William R Bassick b1878 27 Sep 1924 New York - Glasgow
    Elaine

Comment

Edith, there's pages and pages of Bassicks. Can you narrow down the date range or suggest some first names please.

EDIT: Too late!
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Surely these transcriptions aren't crown copyright? The original images definitely are - but the cut and paste of the indexing comes straight from Ancestry - it is their copyright and shouldn't be used to provide lookups. I see a lot of people with these very misleading notes in their signatures. Can someone around here please clarify the copyright situation?

Comment

The copyright question has been raised before - our expert is Zoe (samesizedfeet) but unfortunately she is not online at the moment.

You are correct when you say the original images are crown copyright - and the indexing and transcriptions provided by Ancestry are their copyright. For this reason we do not allow any direct cut and paste from the Ancestry website.

The notes in the signatures were recommended as an acknowledgement that some of the information that is being given is in fact crown copyright.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Elaine. I'll be interested in Zoe's response - this area is such a minefield, but important to get right!

Comment

thanks for that there is definately at least 2 of them mine. they may have returned to uk for a funeral. will have to check as they definately returned to nz.
              as for dates. i have bassick from1820 in staffordshire, there seems to be nothing before that, however we think the name may have been bessick in there past. they then moved to houghton le spring in durham then some went onto newcastle.
              thank you so much for your help, this would have been in my brain until i got the list. thanks again edith
              i have what i think is all in the uk and nz but when i saw this list i need to get into it.

Comment

just had a closer look and all the ones from wellington are mine.thanks edith

Comment

Originally posted by LondonLass View Post
                  Thanks, Elaine. I'll be interested in Zoe's response - this area is such a minefield, but important to get right!
                  This was Zoe's reply last time the subject was raised. Hope it helps to clarify the situation.

Our website policy is that we do not allow people to copy transcriptions from other databases, for example (but not limited to) Ancestry or FindMyPast, and post them on these forums.

These transcriptions are the copyright of the source and the format in which they are laid out is covered by Database Rights.

Any copying of these transcriptions is a contravention of their Database rights and we can have action taken against us for allowing it to be done.

We encourage our members to make their own transcription of anything they may find whilst helping another member in their research.

The most used format on FTF of this information is from census pages.

The census page in it's original format is the property of the National Archives and as such is Crown Copyrighted material.
                  The microfilm, microfiche or digital images of these, whatever source they are obtained form, are licensed for use by TNA to the websites and in this format still remain the property and copyright of TNA on behalf of the Crown. The websites copyright is limited only to their transcription of the contents and the set up of the database for searching it and not the images themself.

TNA advise that the Crown Copyright in it's unpublished material was waived in 1999 allowing the transcription, indexing and publishing of the content without any formal or written permission but that anyone doing so should identify TNA as the source and acknowledge the copyright.

As such, we are able to allow members to publish their own transcriptions of this material without the need for FTF to seek a commercial license as long as there is an acknowledgment that the transcription has been made from material owned by the TNA for the Crown.

Hope that has cleared the issue up.
                  Elaine

Comment

Working...
                  X