Married in Broseley Baptist Chapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married in Broseley Baptist Chapel

I have just received the marriage certificate for OH's 2g grandparents. Bride and groom were both born in Madeley, Shropshire (census info) and lived in Madeley Wood at the time of the marriage. They were married in the Baptist Chapel at Broseley, Shropshire in 1860, but I haven't found any other evidence of Baptist connections in the family. So, would both bride and groom have had to be Baptists? If not, why might they have chosen to marry there rather than the parish church? Were banns read for Baptist marriages, as they are not mentioned on the certificate? I actually have the bride's baptism at Madeley (an IGI extracted record) when she was a baby, so her family wasn't Baptist at that point, but I've yet to locate baptisms for the groom and his brother. Am I right in thinking that Baptists recorded births in their registers, and if so did they have another register for adult baptisms?

I'd appreciate any ideas on this one, as my knowledge of Baptists and how to access their records is almost non-existent.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

where it says "according to the rites and ceremonies of".....is that crossed through? What does it say?

(the reading/publishing of banns is something exclusive to the established (C of E in England!) church)
    Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 14-12-08, 12:29.

Comment

So, would both bride and groom have had to be Baptists? If not, why might they have chosen to marry there rather than the parish church?
      I shouldn't think they would both have had to be Baptist, but probably one of them was!

Comment

Hi Merry,

It says "... according to the Rites & Ceremonies of the Baptists", and it's signed by a Minister and a Registrar.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

You might find records on this site:

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
            Hi Merry,

It says "... according to the Rites & Ceremonies of the Baptists", and it's signed by a Minister and a Registrar.

scuda
            OK, so instead of banns there would have been a notice of the wedding taking place pinned on the notice board of the registry office (I think, anyway!).

Comment

Where were their children baptised?
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Where were their children baptised?
                Good question! I haven't found them yet, but I'm nowhere near Shropshire so have to rely on what I can find online.

scuda

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                  The fact that the Registrar signed it means that he was present at the wedding. That means that either the chapel wasn't registered for marriages or the minister wasn't licensed to perform them at that chapel. The Register Office copy of the marriage will almost certainly be in the Registrar's "travelling" Register, not one maintained by the chapel.

And the Baptist Church practises "believer's baptism" of adults by total immersion in a "baptistry", so there won't be any infant baptisms recorded there.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

What were their names?

Comment

What were their names?
                      Henry Heath (father Richard), both coal miners & Martha Clayton (father Moses, a waggoner). BUT if you're trying to trace them the Heaths appear as Hodgkiss in the censuses (I haven't sorted out any reason for that yet, but it's definitely the same family).

scuda

Comment

Working...
                      X