Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it worth it?????

HI
    I am still looking for my ggrandfather James John Joseph William Hummerston,but can find no record of his birth so that i can get his cert.
    I have found what i believe to be him in the 1871 census aged 4 months living with father Henry and mother Elizabeth,brother Henry T and sister Mary.
    I have also found what i believe is his army record.
    I know he married in 1910 and had a son Albert, but can find no other trace of him.

ANY SUGGESTIONS????
    Please this is driving me to despair

Marie:o
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Do you have his marriage certificate to confirm the name of his father?

Can you give us the 1871 census reference?
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 08-12-08, 15:33.
    Elaine

Comment

Birth registration was not compulsory until 1875, so he may never have been registered. However, he may have been baptised - have you looked for that?

OC

Comment

have no certs for him at all thats what im trying to get.
        where would i look to see if he was baptised?
        Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

The first thing you need to get would be his marriage certificate.
          That would give you some indication of his age and the name of his father and his father's occupation.
          Hopefully you should then be able to find him in the 1901 census - which would then give his place of birth.

You say you think he married in 1910
          Found this on freeBMD

Marriages Dec 1910
          Cleave Alice F
          Feasey Beatrice S
          Hummerston James W
          Weller Charles W
          Paddington volume 1a page 37

Do you know for sure that the name of his wife was either Alice Cleave or Beatrice Feasey?
          Elaine

Comment

census ref
            rgo10 piece 523 folio 89 page 31 if that helps

Comment

i know he married Beatrice as she was my ggrandmother

Comment

Your first step is to order the marriage certificate, which should give you his age and father's name.

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

This is the page for certificate ordering. Good luck!
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

OK - so at least we know we have the right one!
                  As I said the marriage certificate will give the name of his father and his father's occupation which should help find them in the census.

You have given the 1871 census ref - why do you think this is him - do you know his age or the name of his parents already - or is it just a guess?
                  Elaine

Comment

Possible birth?

Births Mar 1871
                    HAMMERSTON James John J W Whitechapel 1c 417

Fits with the census record and has all the right initials! lol

Comment

just a guess it was the only enrty i could find that matched his year of birth.
                      more wishful thinking than anything else!!!!

Comment

THANKS EVERYONE
                        will order both certs now and see where they lead. Hopefully it is the right person

Thanks again
                        Marie

Comment

Looks like his death:

Deaths Mar 1924
                          Hummerston James J J W 53 Kensington 1a 178

He would have been born c 1871
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:
                          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Not bad, everyone!

Birth, marriage and death! Full set!
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

I wish I could find mine like that. Have marriage for grt gmother but no birth as born in Ireland pre 1864 and that could be one of about 30 baptisms and death could be any one of about 8 in London!! Not sure which one to plump for at present!

How delightful and easy to find when you have an unusual name. My names are so common:(

Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X