Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Special Provisions) Act 1957?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, depending on when the "re registration" was done, it might be the simple matter of having to produce a birth cert in order to get a state pension?

OC

Comment

It was a "new" copy of the certificate that my contact has just bought from the GRO.

But I don't think it can be a copy of the original birth registration, or why would it say "Recorded as a child of the marriage of YYYYYYYYY bachelor and XXXXXXXXX spinster" at the bottom, when those two people didn't get married until 3 years after his birth registration and baptism?

So I'm sure it must have been re-registered at some point, and since it mentions the 1957 Act at the top of the cert and the original birth registration and baptism took place in 1898, I would think the reregistration took place after 1957?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
        The "Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Special Provisions) Act 1957" is nothing to do with illegitimacy it is an Act to allow service men to register the birth deaths and marriages whilst overseas.

Reading through the Act, there is a section about re-registering such births if "evidence is produced to the appropriate Registrar General which appears to him to be satisfactory that that person was, whether before or after the commencement of this Act, legitimated by the subsequent marriage of his parents", so I would think that is what was applied in this case.

Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Special Provisions) Act 1957 (c.58)
        KiteRunner

Comment

Just realised - maybe if we can find out when J.H.W Southey, Major Records, Warwick would have been serving as "Adjutant certifying correctness of each entry", it might give us a clue to the date of the re-registration. Unless he does that job now, of course!
          KiteRunner

Comment

Kate

It also might have been produced because he did not have a birth cert, the GRO could not find one (because they never look further than the end of their noses) and it was proof of identity in the form of an official declaration.

I believe that people who cannot produce a birth cert can swear an affidavit as long as they can get a witness to say they believe Joe Bloggs to be whatever age, etc. As there was an army connection here, then perhaps this was a form of declaration?

OC

Comment

If you acquire a certificate today, it will refer to the legislation currently in place, not that which operated when the original event occurred.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

How much do you know about the first wife and her movements? It is deeply frustrating that this is all abroad and between censuses.

Is it possible that although the volume only went up to 1900, it was actually compiled some time later, so the information was actually provided after the second marriage? I have seen three children all registered with the same reference, suggesting that details were sometimes provided long after the event.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The cert is a new one from the GRO and gives the baptism date and name of the chaplain, plus that adjutant certifying correctness. The first wife died in Malta in 1899, and the child was born in Malta at the end of 1898, oh, and he seems to have been named after her brother. The second marriage was in Gibraltar in 1901.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    It was a "new" copy of the certificate that my contact has just bought from the GRO.

But I don't think it can be a copy of the original birth registration, or why would it say "Recorded as a child of the marriage of YYYYYYYYY bachelor and XXXXXXXXX spinster" at the bottom, when those two people didn't get married until 3 years after his birth registration and baptism?

So I'm sure it must have been re-registered at some point, and since it mentions the 1957 Act at the top of the cert and the original birth registration and baptism took place in 1898, I would think the reregistration took place after 1957?
                    No any new copy of a certificate will show the current Act that pertains to the type of event.
                    For example a copy of a birth in Scotland in 1949 will be produced with the "heading" Registration of Births, Deaths and marriages (Scotland) Act 1965

In this case the relevant Act is the 1957 Act.
                    Cheers
                    Guy
                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                    X