Free access to The Times etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free access to The Times etc

Does anyone know of a site where we can get free access to The Times/Gale online archive please? Someone put a link up recently, but it now doesn't work...

Many thanks

Have you tried through your local library service?
    Elaine

Comment

Yes I have Elaine, although it won't accept my library card number online and there's no note of an alternative password. Perhaps access can only be gained in the library

PS - Just been looking at it and it says 'British Library News Demo' so not full access anyway.

Comment

Ah, what a shame.

I've just e-mailed them to ask if there's any way that individuals who aren't affiliated to a university and can't get access through a library can access the database.

Comment

Oh. The e-mail's been rejected by their server - how odd.

Comment

I've tried a different address which hasn't rejected the message. I'll report back if I get an answer.

Comment

Phone your library tomorrow and find out what virtual info it has.
              Cheshire has the times but not the 19th C.
              If it's to be, it's up to me.
              Searching for:
              English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Thanks Mary & Jeanie. I'll give them a call tomorrow

Comment

Hertfordshire has the Times, but not the other C19th newspapers. The library card number is the password - but I do go via the library website.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine,

I did not realise that Herts Libraries have access to the Times as last time I asked at my local library they said they did not have access via my computer but only through their computers, but I will now enquire again, in light of what you have just said. I do belong to Beds Virtual Library but they recently had to give up access to the Times via your own home computer, due to some dispute with Gail over the free access.

Janet

Comment

Yes, you can definitely access the Times online from your home computer if you are a member of Hertfordshire libraries:

hertsdirect.org Online library services

Click on "Online Reference Library" then "Newspapers and Magazines" then it tells you how to put your password together from your library card number, then select Newspapers, and a box will come up for you to enter your password and you are away. The initial search it takes you to will be for the more recent newspapers so you then have to click on "Change Databases" in the top right-hand corner and you can then choose the Times Digital Archive.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

News papers and more

Hampshire has access limited to four users.

Comment

Kiterunner

Thanks for that. I have just successfully got on using my library ticket and following your excellent directions I got to the older Times newspapers. I have made a note so I can get on there in future. It is at least two years since I asked about TimesOnline so...Doesn't time fly!! Must tell my FH group about this!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X