Declaration of Birth...1904

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declaration of Birth...1904

Today we received a birth certificate for a child born in Kent on 10 May 1904.
    The informant was her mother..'as per declaration dated 20th June 1904', who gave an address in a different area of Kent.
    What circumstances would cause this and who would she have made the declaration to?

The child's father was shown on the birth certificate as Walter MARSH, a Police Constable. Child's mother was Mary MARSH formerly AYRES.

I'm having trouble finding the parents in 1901, although we think they married in December Q.1900.

Can anyone help please?

On a trAin at the mo so lacking a calander, was the date of registration just over the 6 weeks allowed? If not check the registration districts of where the birth happened and where it was registered. I think you could do it by declaration if the two were different although you should register where it took place somtimes it was impossible

Comment

The certificate was issued in the registration district of birth on 42 day after the event.
      ... A bit close for a Police Constable's family........

Comment

My birth was registered by declaration!

It meant that my Dad went to register my birth by providing the relevant information at the nearest register office to our home, rather than the one where I was born (in a maternity hospital in a town some miles away). The information is then sent from the local reg office to the one in the area where the birth occurred, so it appears in the indexes in the correct registration district.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Looking at info on how to register a birth nowadays, it does look as though you can register "by declaration" at a different register office from the one local to where the birth took place, for instance, this from the Kensington and Chelsea site:

By declaration
          If it is not convenient for you to attend this office to register the birth of your child then you may go to any other Register Office in England or Wales to register by ‘Birth Declaration’. When you attend that Register Office then the Registrar who sees you will simply record the relevant information and act as an intermediary, passing the details to the Registrar at Chelsea by post.

In this case, any birth certificates you require and the card to register your baby with your local GP will be sent to you by post. (If you wish to obtain any other certificates in addition to the ‘free’ one then you will need to enclose the appropriate payment of £3.50 per certificate).

Please remember however that such arrangements rely on many different organisations and services (postal services, part time register offices etc.) and this will inevitably delay the arrangements you may wish to make with regards to passports, family allowances, etc. However, please remember that you have a legal obligation to register the birth within 42 days.

Important – If you wish to register the birth by declaration then for future reference please remember that copies of birth certificates are only available from the office where the birth is registered and not where the birth declaration was made.

I wish someone had told me that when any of my kids was born, because the register office where I had to register them is up in the city centre and not easy to get to from here, but our nearest one is about a mile away with a lovely park next to it and we walk there all the time.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post

I'm having trouble finding the parents in 1901, although we think they married in December Q.1900.
            A possible:
            RG13; Piece: 749; Folio: 20; Page: 32
            transcribed as March on Ancestry
            Elaine

Comment

Thank you for all your comments.

Elaine
              Thank you
              That does indeed look like them, ...at yet another location...
              I wonder why they moved so much.... Supposedly they moved to Mauritius later. I think I've found them on their journey, but unfortunately no first names are given for the family.

Comment

Working...
              X