Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Degrees of Separation? WARNING: convoluted

Redacted

No. And the more folk I find in my family tree, the more I expect to find some!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Not my family tree - but did you see that that Tom Goodman Hill the actor playing John Lilburne (one for the Eng Civil War buffs) in "The Devils Whore" on channel 4 is related to him. He kept quiet about it at the audition. (And I once saw him in Brighton passing the Grand Central pub opposite the station)

Comment

I am descended from the Davenport family of Ashby De La Zouch on my paternal side.

On my maternal side, my ggg granny was born in Leicester, but the rest of the family were from Ashby De La Zouch. When I got her birth certificate her mother's maiden name was Davenport.

I found her parents marriage in Ashby De La Zouch but it was before 1837 and she died before the 1851 census and had a common name so looking for a death isn't too easy, but it will mean that my Mum and Dad are probably 6th or 7th cousins.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

It was quite spooky when I found hubby & I are 7th cousins once removed - so my sons are related to themselves.

Comment

My great grandparents were first cousins, so my grandad is his own first cousin and I am my own third cousin!

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Does anyone know how the calculation was made? If it was on the basis that each person on average knows X other people, and X to the power of 6 is equal to the total number of people that exist, then I think it is fallacious, because the X people that one knows will overlap with the X people which each of them knows. For example, the 30 or so in my form at school all knew each other. What percentage of the people you know don't know anyone else that you know? A very small one, I expect.

Comment

No Idea...... but after being friends for a while .... me and Viv in herts found out that we are cousins dating back from the 1700s......

Nells hubbies lot lived around the corner from where I live now....

actually a few peoples ancestors lived around where I live now..:D

I've only found one person who is also related to my direct line but he was odd and after emailing me never got back in touch after I replied.....*boo hoo*

loads of people have been in touch who are related to hubby but he's not interested.............

If you look on random trees on Ancestry....... we're all related to Noahs ark......;):D

Comment

i have a lot of mathesons who married family members in the 1700's.
                  my third great grandparents married in 1895, there grandfathers were brothers. those two grandfathers were grandsons of first cousins.
                  and those first cousins were descended from three generations of first cousins.

its confusing, because the family intermarried with mcraes, and those descendants married matheson cousins, and im really not into it.
                  it does my head in!!

Comment

While researching my Worner connections I discovered my fourth cousin Howard, and then while researching the other side, the Rodfords I discovered another fourth cousin Sandra, so they are also fourth cousins.

Now Howard and Sandra already knew of each other - through Howard's brother-in-law, the Canon, who was known to Sandra through her church.

That was really weird, and we often laugh about it.

Di
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                        Not my family tree - but did you see that that Tom Goodman Hill the actor playing John Lilburne (one for the Eng Civil War buffs) in "The Devils Whore" on channel 4 is related to him. He kept quiet about it at the audition.
                        I've got a Lilburne too - Elizabeth, daughter of John of Shawdon Hall, b. abt 1526, married to Thomas Armorer of Belford abt 1546 - so I wouldn't be surprised to find we are related too :D
                        The Armorer coat of arms which I'm trying to investigate incorporates the Lilburne motif, probably as a result of this marriage.

When I told OH about the possible Lilburne connection, he said he wasn't surprised, as I can be a right pedantic so-and-so when it comes for sticking up for certain principles. So just being downright bolshie is genetic, is it?

What I find fascinating about all this genealogy stuff are the parallels - only 100 years later, another branch of the Armorers were staunch Royalists in the Civil War (one was knighted for services to Charles I), but my branch [their cousins] had land & property confiscated for being "delinquents". So I'm watching the Devils Whore with divided loyalties!
                        Vicky

Comment

i think you're family might have known the connection, and that may be why the neighbour was disliked.

Comment

Working...
                          X