Marriage by Superintendent Registrar's Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
    Maybe the bride and groom went to the vicar to see about getting married and he expressed his reservations. They then went to the registrars and intended to marry at the reg office. Maybe then one party (probably the bride or someone in her family) went back to the vicar and pointed out that the couple were going to marry anyway so wouldn't it be better in church than not? At this point the vicar relented and as they already had the sup reg cert they used that for the church ceremony.

Thanks Merry - that sounds possible.

Just another thought - although I've no evidence he was, I wonder whether the groom was in prison at the time the marriage was being arranged - could this be a possible explanation?
    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

The most obvious reasons to me are that one (or both) of the couple was not CoE or even divorced.
      Anyone who lives in a parish may be married in the parish church whatever their religion
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
        The most obvious reasons to me are that one (or both) of the couple was not CoE or even divorced.
        Anyone who lives in a parish may be married in the parish church whatever their religion
        Cheers
        Guy
        Thanks Guy. I hadn't thought of divorce, but I thought that divorcees were not allowed to remarry in C of E Churches
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

i thought that rule only affected the royal family?

Comment

I got married by certificate. The certificate isn't on display, but outside the register office is a list of the names of people due to be married by cert. This is in place of having banns called out in a church I suppose, though not sure nowadays who would look at cert listings and know if one of the parties was unable to marry for whatever reason.

In a small village, folk would have been able to say "but Lucy Scroggs is Old Tim's illegitimate daughter/Bert Whoosit's wife is in the asylum!" to prevent illegal marriages.

I only recall when I booked the wedding having to produce proof of address from a utility bill. In reality I could have been married umpteen times.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Now I am thoroughly confused!

Nell, was your marriage in a Church or a Register Office, please?
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Register office. I don't mean confusion!

church - you can have the banns called for 3 Sundays before marriage
                Register office - you give at least 3 weeks' notice and this info is posted outside the reg office.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                  Register office. I don't mean confusion!

church - you can have the banns called for 3 Sundays before marriage
                  Register office - you give at least 3 weeks' notice and this info is posted outside the reg office.

Thanks, Nell - and sorry, it was me who was confused!

And still am LOL!!
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                    When was that stopped then? I wasn't allowed to marry in my local C of E parish church in 1986 because I wasn't christened.

Comment

Nell

I too was marrid in a Registry Office and "notices of intent to marry" are published, like Banns, and are on display outside a Register Office.

I know this because I sometimes still go and have a looky at who is going to marry who!

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X