Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 4th December 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mary

Yes the LMA could be a bit expensive, depends how desperate one is. As Bilby is just a curiosity, perhaps a bit more detective work first.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Were they all born in Stamford?

I wonder if this is one of their children? (IGI, extracted entry)

ALBERT SANDERSON
      Male

Event(s):
      Birth:
      Christening: 29 APR 1843 Saint George, Stamford, Lincoln, England

Death: 12 MAY 1843

Burial:

Parents:
      Father: HENRY SANDERSON
      Mother: ELIZABETH

Comment

That looks a good possibility Mary, one we did not know about. Elizabeth and the children were in Stamford in 1841 and 1851 census. Henry, in 1841, was at Milton Park, the home of Earl Fitzwilliam.

But all the others I can find claim Sheffield as their birthplace in the census - one says Staffield, but I am sure its Sheffield.
        From the 1841 census (my transciption)

Burghley Lane, St Martins Stamford Baron, Northants
        SANDERSON Elizabeth 36 not northants
        SANDERSON Mary 12 not northants - stepdaughter
        SANDERSON Elizabeth 9 not northants
        SANDERSON Charles(Charlotte) 8 not northants
        SANDERSON John 6 not northants
        SANDERSON James 4 not northants

Milton Hall Castor Northants
        SANDERSON Henry 45 surveyor not Northants

Diane
        Last edited by dicole; 06-12-08, 00:03.
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

Another small problem has been the birth/baptism of George Dawson around 1795. But today, I have had a minor breakthrough myself.

For a long time I have not been able to find the marriage of George Dawson and Sophia Brazill, then today, there it is in the IGI - as taking place in Lee, Kent in 1825.

Also there is her brother William Brazill's 1833 marriage to Sarah Roberts, for which we did not have an exact date . Lee records must have just come into the IGI recently.

There are no other Brazills in Lee - sister Elizabeth Brazill married the same week as Sophia but in St Dunstans in the East. Then the whole clan, except Sophia, migrated to the colony of NSW about 1835 & 1838.

There are other Dawsons in Lee, so I am now wondering if George Dawson (1795-1845) was born in Lee or Woolwich Kent, not Surrey as indicated in the 1841 census.

I guess his marriage record should show his fathers name. Off to check, but would appreciate any advice on research in this geographical area.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

If you're lucky enough to be researching for a parish that has an OPC then this site is useful:
            ** Kent, England Online Parish Clerks ** Gateway to free online Kent genealogy and history.

Unfortunately the IGI doesn't have much Kent stuff.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite
              No OPC for Lee, or Lewisham, or Woolwich, which are the parishes I seem to need. It's school holidays in a couple of weeks, so I am thinking of ordering the film via the LDS.
              Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

You'll be lucky if it arrives so quickly

They take a couple of months to arrive at my Italian LDS centre.

Comment

Mary, I used to go to Carlingford, which was also the Australian Head Office (where they kept all the microfilms not in use) so sometimes it only took a week or so if they were already there in storage. But they have moved the library and I am don't think the storage facility is now in the same place, but it is still fairly close by. or I could get SAG to order it in, but that does take 6-8 weeks, which will be the end of the holidays.
                  Depends on my working hours next year whether I can get there in term time.
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                  X