Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 4th December 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 4th December 2008 is......

dicole!!

Well done di

Wow, thanks Merry !! I don't have any major brick walls, except the ones which seem really unsolvable at present. But I do have a few twigs I would like to find out more about.

Firstly, I would love to know more about Bilby Farrow born about 1816 in Homerton Middlesex. In the 1841 (recorded as Bailey), 51 and 61 census he is in the Hackney Union Warehouse as a cripple. I know the records of the workhouse might be out there somewhere, but as I am in Oz, I don't know how I would access them.

I would like to know who his parents were, especially if they were William Berry Farrow and either of his wives (2nd wife Catherine Albin, first unknown). Also if (probably) and how he is related to the three Bilby Farrows listed in the IGI in Suffolk and Norfolk.

William Berry Farrow was born about 1778 in or near the parish of Bungay Suffolk, and served in the 11th Regiment until 1814.

I have to go to work now, but will be back in about 6hours, thank you everyone.

Diane
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

What a lovely name, Bilby Farrow - sounds like something out of Thomas Hardy or Tolkien

There's lots of information about Hackney Workhouse here:

www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site

It says the records are held at London Metropolitan Archives, but the surviving records are probably too late to be of much use, although you should find a death record for him:

Hackney workhouse — holdings include: Admissions and discharges (1867-1931); Creed registers (1893-1937); Deaths (1859-1934); etc.

I've had a quick look on the LMA site and didn't find anything, but I don't suppose they've digitised the registers yet:

Records and archives

Comment

This is the Hackney Archives site, but the online catalogue doesn't seem to be responding at the moment:

Archives Webcat Electronic Catalogue Search

Comment

This may be completely unconnected, but in 1851 Bilby says he was born in Homerton. There's also a Dinah Farrow (single) b abt 1829 in Homerton who is in the British Penitent Female Refuge. Her occupation is recorded as Soldiers Daughter.

I did wonder if she could be Bilby's sister?

Comment

In 1841 Dinah (aged 12) is in the household of William (60, labourer) and Catherine (50) Farrow (both born out of county) in Hackney. Other children are Lydia 14, Rebecca 10 and Catherine 6.

Comment

On the 1851 William is still alive and is aged 71 from Bungy, Suffolk. The enumerator has married him off to his unmarried daughter (?), Rebecca aged 21!

Comment

Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents WO 97/1137/188
                WILLIAM FARROW Born BUNGAY, Suffolk Served in 11th Dragoons; 11th Royal Veteran Battalion Discharged aged 34 . WILLIAM FARROW Born BUNGAY, Suffolk Served in 11th Dragoons; 11th Royal Veteran Battalion Discharged aged 34 11th Battalion, Veterans: Abb - Hat Date range: 1803 - 1814.

Search the archives | Search the archives

There are several other William Farrows, too.

Comment

So, he left the army and then got married?

WILLIAM BERRY FARROW

Marriages:
                  Spouse: CATHARINE ALBIN
                  Marriage: 25 MAY 1817 Saint Luke Old Street, Finsbury, London

Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

Comment

Congratulations Di hope you get loads solved dear ;;;
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

OOps, I think di knows all this already, looking at post #2 lol

Comment

Pity he didn't leave the army a bit later, because the discharge record might have given the names of his dependents.

Comment

Thank you all for your interest so far. yes I do have the William Farrow- Catherine Albin marriage - that parish record shows he is a widower.

By the dates, I think Bilby could be a child, maybe the only one, of his first marriage.

I have not found baptisms for William or Catherine, so I don't know if William had any siblings. I have the baptisms for their five daughters - Mary Esther, Lydia, Dinah, Rebecca and Catherine - all at St Johns Hackney. Mary Esther married and migrated to NSW; Lydia, Catherine and Rebecca married but I only have Dinah in the workhouse in 1851.

Re his discharge papers - they say he was 35 years of age in Oct 1814 when discharged from the 11th Reg Veterans (5' 7" brown hair, fair complexion, hazel eyes, long visage, labourer), having served 11 years and 122days. But had also served for 3 years earlier, being discharged in 1802 from the Arygllshire Reigment, and then being about 23 years. Don't know if any of that helps.

Di
                          PS I have just realised, three of my chiildren have hazel eyes - I wonder if they are from William Farrow ??
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

British Penitent Female Refuge - doesn't that sound a lovely place ?
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia

Comment

I would try an e-mail to the LMA to see if Bilby's workhouse death record holds any information.

Also ask if they have any Poor Law records for him (settlement/removal orders, apprenticeships, etc.).

Comment

Thanks Mary I will do that. I did not know you could ask LMA for anwers by email !!
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia

Comment

I think so, but I don't have any ancestors in the London area, so I'm not sure.

I wonder if they also have the baptism records you need? They don't seem to be on the IGI.

Comment

Their hourly charge for research services is a bit exorbitant:

Family History Research Service

Comment

congratulations,enjoy,i did i have found 4 living among my dead thanks to these lovely peeps...brenda xxx

Comment

Another problem - I am looking for information on the children of Henry Sanderson and Elizabeth Hibbard/Hibbert.

Henry Sanderson (1798-1849) was quite a famous engineering surveyor and was a contemporary and competitor of Robert Stephenson. If you Google, esp in Books, you can find some of his work, also in the Times Online, letters etc. Henry died in 1849 at the home of his patron/employer the Earl Fitzwilliam. He firstly married Mary Ann Ives, with whom he had 6 children before she died in 1830. This part of the family is well researched by descendents of those children.

In 1831, with 6 young children and a job that took him all over the country, Henry married Elizabeth Hibbard/Hibbert and had another 5 children, who I can find in the census, but no baptism records.

So I am seeking baptism/birth records for:

Elizabeth b about 1833,
                                        John about 1834,
                                        Charlotte (Charles in 1841 census),
                                        Fanny and
                                        James.

From the little I have from the first family descendents, James "Fell from a topmast", Fanny died aged 7 months. John moved to Australia, but apparently (from the census, Charlotte and Elizabeth stayed with their mother).

The family moved from Stamford to Sheffield after Henry's death.

The children of the first family were Henry (died in NSW), Edmund (died in NSW), William (died in India), Charles (died in India), Alexander (died in India), and Mary Ann ((married in India, returned to England).

I have not looked for anything about them for quite a long time now, so any help appreciated.

Diane
                                        Diane
                                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                                        X