No announcement yet.

Family Myths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the stories in my my family are true ...... I have connections to a few well known people living today ........ but I haven't the money or the energy to prove anything, by sending for birth and marriage certs of a load of strangers ....

So until the census for the years up to 1950 come out .... the stories will have to lie dormant. ....... and I wont be around ......

Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Redacted

Comment

I've just checked... my grandfather, Herbert R Christmas, and his elder brother, E Cecil R Christmas, both joined up on 5 July 1915 in London having travelled up from Southampton. My grandfather ended up in the South Yorkshires, and his elder brother in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps (the Arts & Crafts Bn).

Cecil "died of wounds" at Thiepval on the Somme on 7 October 1916 (his body was never recovered, and he is named on the great memorial there). The same day - also fighting on the Somme - Herbert was sufficiently badly wounded &/or affected by "neurasthenia" (i.e. shell-shock, I believe) that he was eventually invalided out. He rejoined the Army in the Labour Corps at the end of the war, hoping to find his brother's body for proper burial.

I found that both poignant and strangely resonant... as in frisson-making... that the two brothers should end up so close in the war, and both be very seriously injured on the same day, Cecil to the point of death.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It just shows what a lottery it was, my great uncle, private Ralph Stephenson, 22nd Bn, Durham light infantry, of Tow Law, Durham. Died aged 26, 23 October 1916, remembered Thiepval memorial.

It was a family myth that he was only 16, and all of my family believed this until I obtained the certificates and found he also left a wife of less than 1 year.

Comment

Redacted

Comment

spmeone upstairs likes your family very much!!!:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Southwick View Post
                It just shows what a lottery it was, my great uncle, private Ralph Stephenson, 22nd Bn, Durham light infantry, of Tow Law, Durham. Died aged 26, 23 October 1916, remembered Thiepval memorial.

It was a family myth that he was only 16, and all of my family believed this until I obtained the certificates and found he also left a wife of less than 1 year.
                You can imagine how "He was killed in '16" might metamorphose into "He was killed aged 16"

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Working...
                  X