Did they marry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they marry?

I've a Walter Carter born 1863 Margate, Kent, shown on the 1891 & 1901 as married to an Annie E (or Elizabeth A, surname unknown) born 1863 Ireland but can't find their marriage.

Their children were Elsie Eliza 1889, Walter Gordon 1890 and Sidney Arthur, 1897, all born in Kent

It is of course possible that they were married in Ireland and then returned to Kent but Dad Walter was living in Kent on the 1881. Daughter Elsie Eliza remembered to get married when her youngest child was 3 so perhaps her Mum and Dad were a bit forgetful too!

La plus perdue de toutes les journees est celle ou l'on n'a pas ri
    Chamfort

The most completely wasted of all days are those on which we have not laughed

I suppose it would be easier if we had the wife's name from one of the children's birth certificates, but I'll see if I can spot anything...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kite, yes, of course, that's the most sensible route, doh, I'll do that.

Chamfort

Comment

Sorry, had to get off computer for a little while. There is a possible marriage Woolwich Jun 1897 1d 2011 which has 2 bridegrooms listed on FreeBMD but only 1 bride. Just trying to see if I can figure out who the missing bride is.
        KiteRunner

Comment

I think this is the right one:

Marriages Jun 1888

Carter George Walter Thanet 2a 1351
          Hansford Charles Thomas Thanet 2a 1351
          Morrison Elizabeth Annie Thanet 2a 1351
          Smith Mary Ann Thanet 2a 1351

as Walter was registered for birth as George Walter!

Births Sep 1862
          CARTER George Walter Thanet 2a 642

Comment

Oh, well done, Merry. I'd just figured out that 1897 Woolwich one wasn't right because I found the missing bride and she was a Mary Ann...
            KiteRunner

Comment

Kent BMD confirms that George W Carter and Elizabeth A Morrison married each other.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                Kent BMD confirms that George W Carter and Elizabeth A Morrison married each other.
                Oooh good! I didn't know Kent has a BMD site!

Comment

I have it in my "favourites" because the last time I tried to navigate to it from Kent County Council's home page (a long time ago) I got completely lost, and I think the link on UK BMD took you to that home page instead of directly to the BMD page:

Kent Registration Services - Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates - home

Unfortunately you have to know the names of the two people who you hope married each other on that one, because it doesn't tell you spouse's name like all the other local BMD sites do - you have to put each name in and see if the refs match.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Just sent another email to Kent CC as they still haven't altered their index, so my grandmother appears as Kgladys instead of Gladys.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Gosh Kite and Merry you're a brilliant pair

I'd got it in my head that Walter was a "Walter Gordon" not a George Walter!

Thank you both so much

Chamfort

Comment

Working...
                      X