Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will help

Hi

I have found a notice of my 4x great grandfathers wife, would i be able to get the will from somewhere?

Many thanks

p.s its 1859 in London/Middlesex
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

As it's after 1857 you will need to get a copy from York.

See:

Publications - Guidance - Probate - Guide to obtaining copies of probate records

and under the bit that says: What if I cannot get to First Avenue House or a Registry?

I notice they don't bother to tell you who to make the cheque out to and I always get it wrong....Is it HMCS?

Comment

I think you should find some info on the Wiki for that? If Wills doesn't get you the right area, then Probate should.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        I think you should find some info on the Wiki for that? If Wills doesn't get you the right area, then Probate should.

Christine
        That's where I got the link from!

Comment

From that link, click on "Forms and Guidance", and search for form number PA1S, download the form and it gives you all the info, including who to make the cheque out to.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Bear in mind that very few married women owned property in their own right, so few left wills.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              That's where I got the link from!
              Great minds think alike! We posted simultaneously.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that. Can i search the calendar, or do i have to pay for someone to do that for me?
                Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Dont worry have looked in the Wiki!
                  Robyne

Comment

Oh, sorry, Robyne, I thought when you said you had found a notice, that you meant you had found details of the will. I could have looked it up for you at the record office but now I'm home!
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thats ok Kite, please dont worry. i will get up there at some point!
                      Robyne

Comment

Working...
                      X