Chelsea Pensioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea Pensioners

I have today discovered that my GGG Grandfather was a Chelsea Pensioner.
    He became an in-pensioner in 1862 and died in their infirmary in 1869.
    Is there somewhere I could contact to get information on my GGG Grandfather's time with the Chelsea Pensioners Please?

I think you will find the records are kept at The National Archives - some are currently being scanned with the aim of them being online by 2011!

News | Chelsea Pensioners' records and Militia Attestation Papers to go online
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine.
      I'll have to find something else to do to pass the time until then. :D

Comment

Hi Morfydd, I found them very helpful when I asked for details of my 2xgt grandfather who died at the hospital in 1877.

When I find the letter I'll post again, lunch is ready now.
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Thank you Viv. Hope you're well. x

I have found a record on NA that looks very much like my William House, so may contact them about it.

Comment

Morfydd

I found my gt x 2 grandfather's name on the TNA website and they sent me 3 A3 photocopies of his attestation and details of his illness, treatment and pension, for a small amount.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell.
              I've sent them an email to ask how much it will cost, so waiting for reply.

Comment

Home - The Royal Hospital Chelsea

In case you haven't seen this I found it very interesting.

Comment

Thank you Linda, I found that today, it is an interesting site.

Comment

Hi Morfydd the e-mail I got from Jon Nuttall at the RHC says they only have register information on in-pensioners & all other records are held at TNA.

The info on My 2xgt grandfather is the date he recieved out-pension.
                    How many years service.
                    When he became an in-pensioner
                    When he died
                    When & where buried

I was hoping your Ancestor & mine might have been in-patients together but mine didn't enter till 1873.

Comment

Thanks for that Viv, my cousin in Canada has received info on when our relative entered as an in-pensioner and the date he died, with bits about his military service and pension, so I'm wondering if the person who got the info for her also got it from TNA and charged her for that.
                      I'll wait until I see what she has before ordering anything.
                      It's lovely to imagine a relative walking round wearing the red uniform, I feel quite pleased we received the info to say one of ours was a Chelsea Pensioner.

Comment

If the reference you've ordered from Kew is WO97, then what you'll get is his Army discharge papers. There are separate records on In-pensioners.
                        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Yes, it is WO97 that I've requested the cost of, I haven't ordered it yet.
                          What code would I use for the Chelsea pensioner info please?

Comment

You can't order the Chelsea Pensioner info because it's not name indexed. I was looking at the Chelsea Pensioner books at the weekend - they are fairly easy to search, but you'd have to go there, or get someone to go for you
                            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that.
                              Well OH is going to have to treat me to a little break away then.:D
                              Thanks everyone for your help today.
                              I'm off to bed now.
                              Goodnight God bless.

Comment

Nos da!
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Morfydd from Mid Glam View Post
                                  Thanks for that Viv, my cousin in Canada has received info on when our relative entered as an in-pensioner and the date he died, with bits about his military service and pension, so I'm wondering if the person who got the info for her also got it from TNA and charged her for that.
                                  I'll wait until I see what she has before ordering anything.
                                  It's lovely to imagine a relative walking round wearing the red uniform, I feel quite pleased we received the info to say one of ours was a Chelsea Pensioner.

Me too Morf, I feel very proud of my gt gt Grandfather William.:D

Comment

Thanks for the welsh Nell.
                                    It's funny isn't it Viv, I obviously didn't know my William, but I couldn't wait to tell my family about him yesterday, but sadly they didn't seem that interested. :D

Comment

Working...
                                    X