Parish/Church newsletters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish/Church newsletters.

I was reading in one of the FH mags (borrowed from library) about a website that had copies of various newsletters/ weekly notes from different churches in UK, some going back 150 years.

Short of re-reading every mag in the library, does anyone know what the website is???

I've tried googling various combinations.

Thanks.

I think I've found it.

Ancestors Mag issue 66. Would anyone have a copy???

The article is called "Parish Magazines".

Thanks.

Comment

The only site I know of is

Yesterday's Names - Genealogy and Family History CDs
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Ann....I don't think that's it, although it could be the reason I didn't copy the address...lol

I 'thought' this was a website that had actual copies of some of the magazines.

Googling has shown me you can get quite a few interesting articles from church mags if you know the church. So I might sit and search those for a while.

Comment

Libby

Oh, what a little goldmine those parish mags can be if you can find them!

I literally fell over a box of them in a local archive. They had just arrived and been dumped on the floor by the donor and nosey old me had to have a look.

OOOOh, bliss! There was a missing family of mine, and over the next few weeks, lol, I read how:

The church (a chapel actually) had had a fund-raising drive to send 40 people to the USA in the 1850s. Most of the 40 wrote home and the letters were published in the mag. Absolutely riveting stuff (to a family member, lol) about the journey, about their land grant, how they farmed and wove cotton on their hand looms, how much they got for it, births of children, deaths, illnesses etc.

I shouldn't think anyone had ever read those magazines with such fervent interest. There was all sorts of other stuff too, obituaries for local chapel members which nomally included a life story, reports of trips to here and there (including a mass outing to Wales for three days) and reports of various far-flung family members. Very parochial and therefore wonderful in detail not to be found anywhere else.

OC

Comment

OC....that's what I'm after.

I'm sure I read in that issue 66 of Ancestors that someone had a lot online.

I'll be back at the library tomorrow first thing to get the mag.......if someone's got it out, you'll hear me over there....lol

Comment

Hope you find that issue Libby. Would like to know if there is such a website.
              Kit

Comment

SOG collect tracts and their catalogue would be online. But when you think of all the churches, each producing a monthly magazine, there must be millions of the things. If they concentrated on your neck of the woods, it would be great, but it must be very hit and miss as to what they have.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The site which Ann found with CDs for sale is the only one I know of. They often give small free samples away with the CD on Your Family Tree magazine. I sometimes have a quick look but have never been lucky enough to find a parish from which my ancestors came!

Anne

Comment

I have issue 66 of Ancestors. There are several websites:

The first one is a brief introduction to Parish Magazines and can be found at:

Extracts from a few parish magazines have been published online, generally on church or local history sites so these are on the following websites:

Not with the websites but at the end of the article itself is the mention of the fact that selections of old parish magazines have been published on CD by Yesterday's Names which is the one that Ann above mentioned.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 14-11-08, 16:45.

Comment

Thank you Janet.

I've no idea why I didn't keep that info.

Comment

Anyone with folk from Bream or Warminster will have a great time with these. None of mine from there, but I'll keep checking.

Comment

Working...
                        X